Rejuvenated Tray Table
- Vintage tray table
- Natural hemp
- Generation Green paints/finishes (Earth Safe Finishes): Low VOC Perfect Paint Color: Night Sky
Blue; Low VOC Shimmer Translucent Color: Glitter; No-VOC Shimmer Opaque Color: Silver; Sapphire (optional); No-VOC Varnish Satin
- Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Polymer
Clay (Polyform Products): colors of
choice; Glow-in-the Dark
- Easy Cast Clear Casting Epoxy
- Sponge brush and paint brushes
- Clay-dedicated pasta machine
- Sheet of glass
- Small cutters: square; circle; triangle
- Craft knife
- Optional: Alphabet stencils
- Clean all surfaces thoroughly to
remove dust, dirt and grease. Let dry.
- Paint all surfaces Night Blue Sky,
letting dry between coats.
- Use finger or sponge brush to apply Glitter paint where desired, letting dry between coats. Apply extra glitter to “night sky” areas.
- Apply Silver paint to tray edges. Use silver to stencil lettering if desired. For subtle glow, apply Sapphire to legs if desired.
- Apply varnish to all painted areas except tray surface.
- Find pattern pieces for buildings by
using old envelopes, magazines, etc.
(Note: To keep patterns for future use,
cover them with clear contact paper.)
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions
to condition clay. Flatten and roll each
color separately through pasta machine
from setting #1 through #5. Place clay
sheets onto work surface and cut out
patterns. Place each building and roof
onto glass sheet, pressing out any air
bubbles. (Note: If desired, press texture sheets into clay buildings.)
- Condition Glow-in-the-Dark clay and roll through pasta machine in same way as Step 7. To add windows, use small cutter to remove bits of clay from buildings and replace with same shape/size of Glow-in-the-Dark Clay. Gently press windows in place.
- Place glass sheet in 275°F oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool in oven. Slide craft knife under each building to loosen from glass sheet. Apply glue to back of each piece all the way to edges. Press each piece firmly onto table/tray top.
- For angel, choose rubber stamp image,
copyright-free design from Internet,
or draw your own. Enlarge or reduce
image as needed. Cut individual pattern
pieces (hair, face, dress, etc.) from
variety of clay and piece angel together
on glass sheet. Follow same procedure
from Step 9 to bake, cool and glue
angel to table.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix Clear Cast Resin. Let cure 24 to 72 hours. Apply second coat if needed. (Note: Do not touch while resin cures.)
Rejuvenated Tray Table