Hollow Star Cutout Cones
- FloraCraft Foam Cones: 12”, two; 15”
- Decorative wire
- Battery-operated tea light
- Acrylic paints: bright gold, antique gold, copper, black
- FloraCraft Make It: Fun: Foam Cutter, StyroCutter Plus
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
cardstock, paintbrushes, spoon, straight pins, large rubber band, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler, sponge scrap
- Use Foam Cutter to cut cones exactly in half lengthwise. To do this, place rubber band around cone from top to bottom dividing cone in half. Use rubber band as guide to follow when cutting.
- Use spoon to carefully scrape out inside of all half cones. Keep scraping out inside until hollow cone shell has uniform thickness of 1/2”. See Photo 1.
- Create templates by drawing stars onto cardstock paper or print star templates from Internet. Cut out 3” star, 2” star, 1-1/2” star, and 1” star from cardstock. Pin stars in random pattern onto front half of cone. Keep stars at least 1/2” away from edge of cone and at least 1/2” apart.
- Use StyroCutter Plus to carefully cut out stars following manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside cutout stars to use inside cone. See Photo 2.
- On covered work surface, paint inside of front half and inside edges of star cutouts black. Let dry. Paint inside of back half of cone copper. Let dry. Paint cutout stars bright gold. Let dry. Paint outside of cone in desired color paint. Let dry.
- Adhere painted cutout stars inside back half of cone. Position stars so that when front half of cone is in place, stars are visible through cutout openings. Adhere front onto back of cone. See Photo 3 and Photo 4.
- Bend wire into star shape; adhere star to top of cone.
- Place battery-operated tea light under cone to add warm glowing accent.
- Repeat process to create additional cones.
- 1. Use a sponge scrap to sponge paint stars and cones for best coverage.