Smooth Decorative Spheres
- FloraCraft Foam Balls: 2-1/2”, 3”, 5”
- FloraCraft Smooth Finish
- Mint green acrylic paint
- Triple-thick gloss glaze
- White pearl-head pins
- Ribbon: white/silver striped, silver sheer
- Silver cording
- Metallic silver textured yarn
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
paint spatula or putty knife, flat paintbrush, fine sanding block, ruler, scissors, wooden skewer, rubber gloves, sponge, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, mix Smooth Finish™ prior to use. Wearing rubber gloves, completely coat ball with Smooth Finish™ using spatula or flat paintbrush. See Photo 1. When using spatula, apply small amount to foam and spread evenly in all directions, working finish into foam cells. When using paintbrush, load material onto brush and spread onto foam, smoothing lumps as you work.
- To create super sleek finish, wet sand or dry sand Smooth Finish once applied. To wet sand, allow material to partially dry. Dampen sponge and very lightly smooth out any ridges. If material is wiping away, let it dry longer before wet sanding. To dry sand, let material dry completely, and then sand smooth with fine sanding block. See Photo 2. If base coat is very rough, wet sand deeper ridges, let dry completely, and then dry sand to desired finish.
- Insert wooden skewer into ball to use as handle; paint ball mint green. See Photo 3. Let dry completely. Apply even coat of gloss glaze to painted ball; let dry. See Photo 4.
- Embellish spheres with ribbon, silver cording, metallic yarn, and pearl-head pins using glue gun.
- 1. Make FloraCraft foam balls shine like glass globes using Smooth Finish coating and triple-thick gloss glaze.