Scarecrow Hot Cocoa Jar
- Recycled quart jar with lid
- White cardstock
- Men’s socks: brown, white
- Felt scraps: light orange, red, white, purple, brown, green
- Brown burlap, 6” circle
- Buttons: two each, yellow, black, orange; one each, purple, green, brown, red
- Black rickrack, 5” length
- Orange polka dot ribbon, 18” length
- Embroidery floss: black, white
- Polyester stuffing
- Embroidery needle
- Hole punch, 1/4”
- Pinking shears
- Bright yellow fabric spray paint
- Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, black marker, newspaper or plastic tablecloth (to cover work surface)
- Measure and cut 4-1/2” section from straight area on white sock. On covered work surface, spray sock bright yellow. Let dry. Position yellow sock around jar.
- To create hat brim, cut out circle slightly smaller than jar lid in center of 6” burlap circle; set center cutout aside for future project. Apply glue to jar lid sides. Position hat brim over jar lid and pull down over edge to adhere to sides; let dry.
- For hat, cut 5” section from straight area of brown sock. Wrap orange ribbon around one end of brown sock and tie into bow as shown. Lightly stuff hat with polyester stuffing. Roll bottom edge of hat and adhere around jar lid, covering burlap edge.
- Using pinking shears, cut the following from felt: 1-1/2” triangle (nose) from red, two 1-1/2” circles (cheeks) from orange, two 1” circles (eyes) from white, and one 1” squares (patches) each from purple, green, and brown.
- (Note: Use three strands white floss to sew buttons onto felt pieces; tie knot on front of buttons.) Sew coordinating-color buttons onto patches. For mouth, adhere ends of rickrack length onto centers of cheeks. Sew orange buttons over rickrack ends. For eyes, sew yellow and black buttons to white circles as shown. For nose, sew red button onto center of triangle.
- Adhere patches onto hat. Adhere eyes, cheeks, mouth, and nose onto yellow sock on jar.
- For tag, use marker to write “Happy Fall” on paper. Trim cardstock into tag shape around words; punch 1/4” hole in tag as shown. Insert six strands black floss through hole and orange bow; knot ends.