Jack-o’-Lantern Mailbox Cover
- Metal or heavy-duty plastic mailbox cover
- Royal & Langnickel Majestic Series Paintbrushes: Series R4700 Glaze/Wash 1”; Series R4150 Shader #12; Series R4595 Liner #1; Sable Series L5005 Short Round #16; Aqualon Series R2735 Wisp 3/4”
- Small paint roller
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paints: Black, Black Green, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Calypso Orange, Dark Foliage Green, Dusty Purple, Jubilee Green, Light Foliage Green, Lime Green, Medium Foliage Green, Perfect Highlight for Green, Poppy Orange, Pumpkin, Red Iron Oxide, Straw, Tangerine, White
- Exterior varnish
newspaper (to cover work surface), paper plate (palette), container of water
- Basecoat mailbox cover Black Green using roller. Let dry.
- Print out pattern. Transfer pattern onto cover, omitting section and face lines.
- Basecoat left pumpkin Poppy Orange, middle pumpkin with (1:1) mixture of Tangerine + Calypso Orange, and right pumpkin with (1:1) mixture of Pumpkin + Poppy Orange. Basecoat all stems and leaves Medium Foliage Green. Basecoat hat Dusty Purple and hat band Lime Green. Let dry. Transfer section lines.
- Refer to worksheet when painting designs. For left pumpkin, apply back-to-back mixture of Red Iron Oxide + Poppy Orange float along section lines. Float along edge behind center pumpkin, along side and bottom edge, and along bottom of stem. Drybrush Pumpkin highlight in each section near top. For center pumpkin, apply back-to-back Poppy Orange floats along section lines, along each side, along bottom, and under hat. Drybrush Calypso Orange highlight in each section, making center wider and brighter. For right pumpkin, apply back-to-back Red Iron Oxide floats along each section line. Float along bottom of stem, along edge behind center pumpkin, along left side, and along bottom. Drybrush Pumpkin highlight in each section, keeping it brightest in center of pumpkin, using short round.
- For pumpkin stems, leaves, and hatband, use Dark Foliage Green and liner to paint curved lines on left side of each stem, shade along left edge of stem, and shade along bottom (stem end) and center of each leaf. Use Light Foliage Green and liner to paint curved lines on right side of stems. Float highlight along right side and across top front edge of each stem, along left side of top two leaves, and along right leaf edge of pumpkin that is mostly hidden. Float Perfect Highlight for Green along right side and across top front of each stem, along left side of top two leaves, and along right leaf edge of pumpkin that is mostly hidden. Paint leaf and vine lines Medium Foliage Green. Apply back-to-back Perfect Highlight for Green float down center of hatband; shade Jubilee Green along each side.
- For hat, brush mix Dusty Purple + Black; float above and below hatband. Use chisel edge to add crease lines to underside of hat curve. Brush mix Dusty Purple + White; float along front edge above face and along curve top. Use chisel edge to add highlight among creases. Use liner and Black to fill in space between hat and pumpkin head.
- Transfer pumpkin face lines. Use Straw to basecoat eyes on each pumpkin, nose on right pumpkin, and mouths on right and center pumpkins. Use Black to basecoat eyes and mouths on center and left pumpkin, and nose on center pumpkin. Use White to basecoat teeth on center pumpkin; highlight dot eyes as shown. Use liner and Black to outline eyes, nose, and mouths.
- For hay, use shader to slip-slap Burnt Umber under all three pumpkins. Use wisp to slip-slap Burnt Sienna over Burnt Umber. While paint is still wet, load wisp with Straw and slip-slap as desired.
- Apply several coats of varnish. Let dry. Position cover on mailbox.
- 1. Adapt pattern to feature on canvas flag for a great Halloween porch design.