- FELTED BIRD:
- Felted wool scraps in shades of pink, green and yellow
- Black seed beads
- Brown floral wire
- Wooden birdhouses, three
- Vintage sheet music
- Chloe’s Closet patterned papers (Making Memories): green school ruled; green star patterned
- Ribbon: velvet (Dashes, Dots & Checks), 1/4”: pink; green; green/pink/white striped (Dashes, Dots & Checks), 5/8”
- Chloe’s Closet buttons: pink; brown; yellow
- FELTED BIRD:
- Sewing needle and matching threads
- Wire cutters
- Cotton batting
- Pinking shears
- Matte Mod Podge (Plaid)
- Clear Spray (Krylon)
- Acrylic paints: pink; yellow; brown; white; cream; green
- Foam brush
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut two body sides, bottom and two wings from desired colors of wool felt.
- 2. For tail, cut 1”x4” strip from wool
felt. Cut three strips from strip so they curl. Mix felt colors as desired.
- 3. Slide one crystal onto thread and tie two knots; repeat with all beads until
necklace is desired length. Tie two extra knots after attaching final crystal.
- 4. For eyes, sew seed bead onto left side of body piece and wing. Repeat on opposite side.
- 5. Whip stitch bottom piece to body sides, leaving hole in back for stuffing.
- 6. Stuff bird until fluffy. Place curly tail inside back hole, then sew opening closed.
- 7. For bead, cut brown floral wire, un-wrap brown paper from wire and poke into felt between eyes.
- 1. Paint birdhouses as desired, using photo as guide.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to
dècoupage vintage music and patterned papers to birdhouses as desired.
- 3. Dip finger in brown paint, then rub edges of house for an antiqued look.
- 4. Apply two coats of clear spray to birdhouses.
- 5. Hot glue ribbon to birdhouse bases, button to tip of stands and felted bird to house. Make a multiple-looped ribbon bow and adhere to bottom of birdhouse if desired.
- 1. Create your own wool felt from old wool sweaters and thrift store finds. To felt wool sweaters, cut them apart at the seams, then cut off any ribbing or reinforced seams. Machine wash wool on a hot setting with a little detergent. If wool comes out of washing machine felted as desired, line dry. Otherwise, dry wool in dryer on a warm or hot setting. Repeat process if wool doesn’t felt as desired.
- 1. Use felted birds to embellish wreaths or add pretty ribbon hangers for darling ornaments.