Heartfelt Flower Pot Plant Cozies
- Clay pots, 6" tall, three
- Acrylic paints: red; white
- Spray sealer
- 100% wool sweaters: white; pink; red
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Pink; Red; Aquamarine.
- Assorted decorative buttons: 1/4"; 1/2", 3/4"
- Needles: embroidery; sewing
- Sewing thread: white; pink
washing machine and dryer
- To felt sweaters, wash in warm water and tumble dry.
- Lay sweater sleeve flat on work surface. If making cozy for a small pot, cut a section from lower part of the sleeve, close to the cuff. For a 6" tall pot, cut a 3-1/2"-wide section from bicep area of sleeve that is 6" wide at top and 5"-wide at the base. All sweaters are sized and will felt differently. (Note: If you are unable to find a section of the sleeve that fits around pot, get sweater wet and stretch it over an empty pot so it dries to the correct size.)
- Print and cut out patterns. Cut patterns from contrasting sweater colors. Pin largest pieces to front of cozy. The sleeve seam should be positioned in the center back. Use needle and thread to hand-sew designs to cozies as shown. Sew smaller designs (wing, beak and heart appliqués) to larger designs. Use sewing needle and thread or embroidery needle and one strand of embroidery floss to add decorative stitches to appliqués as shown.
- To add texture and embellish appliqué, sew a small button eye onto birds, or a stack of buttons onto center of hearts.
- Use one strand of embroidery floss and whipstitch, blanket stitch or running stitch to finish top and bottom edges of cozy. Be careful not to pull thread too tightly, which will prevent the finished cozy from sliding onto pot.