Fall Leaves Table Runner
- Fabrics, 2 yds. each: unbleached muslin; cotton or poly-cotton, light green or color of choice
- Sage cording, 4 yds.
- Sage tassels, 3” long
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Stamps: ivy leaves, birch leaves
- DecoArt Acrylic Paints: Terra Cotta, Antique Gold, Hauser Light Green, Dazzling Metallic Emperor’s Gold
- Fabric pencil, or dressmaker’s chalk
scissors, yardstick, T-square, straight pins, iron, paintbrush, paper plate, paper towels, container with soap and water
- 1. To sew top of table runner, use yardstick, T-square, and fabric pencil, to measure and mark a 13”x61” rectangle on muslin fabric; cut out. (See Fig. 1.) To shape each end into a point, trim away corners as shown.
- 2. Using top as pattern, cut one backing from green fabric and one lining from muslin.
- 3. Place backing, right side up, on work surface. (See Fig. 2) Pin cording to edges of backing so cording faces inward, and cording overlaps at one edge. Pin one tassel, tassels facing inward, to each end. Using zipper foot, sew cording and tassels to backing.
- 4. Pin muslin layers to right side of backing. Use zipper foot to sew back and front together, leaving an 8” opening at one side for turning.
- 5. Turn table runner right side out. Whipstitch opening closed; press.
- 6. Use paintbrush to apply paint to leaf stamps. See Stamping Tips below. Apply paint in a thin, even layer. Practice stamping on fabric scrap until you are confident about the amount of paint and pressure to use. Stamp all leaves using the same paint color at one time. Wash stamp with mild soap and water and dry thoroughly before changing colors. Repeat stamping/cleaning/drying process until all paints have been used.
- 1. Instead of making a table runner from scratch, give an old one new life by embellishing with stamped designs, new tassels, or other trims.
- 1. If the stamps include more than one size leaf, apply paint to one leaf at a time, stamp design, then wash and dry stamp before changing leaf size or color.
- 2. Here’s an easy way to arrange your design. Paint three or four leaves, both birch and ivy, using each color of paint, onto paper. Cut out paper leaves and arrange on table runner. When satisfied with arrangement, pin leaves in place to use as a painting guide.
- 3. In case of a misplaced paint drop or slip of the stamp, change design slightly and add a leaf to cover the mistake.