Floral Hair Clip Trio
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt, 12”x12”: Fuchsia, Wisteria, Spring Tickle
- Coordinating print fabric, 2”x16”
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Ribbon: yellow, 3/8”-wide, 18” length; navy polka dot, 1-1/4”, 12” length
- Hair clips, three
- Sewing needle and matching thread
- Martha Stewart Crafts Flower Garden Silicone Clay Molds
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7300C Shader #2, 4, 6; Series 7000C Round #1, 4
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Carousel Pink, Purple Cow, Calypso, Bright Yellow, Warm White; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Clay knife or blade, clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, iron and pressing surface, baby powder, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Hot Pink Gerber Daisy
- 1. Condition clay in hands until soft and pliable. Press clay into flower mold. Release from mold and bake on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint flower Bright Yellow using #4 shader. Let dry and apply second coat. Let dry. Paint tips of each petal Carousel Pink using #2 shader. Let dry. Coat entire flower with varnish using #6 shader. Let dry.
- 3. Cut 2” circle from Fuchsia felt; hot glue to center of clay flower.
- 4. Cut 2”x12” strip of Fuchsia felt. Press in half lengthwise. Cut on folded edge every 1/4”, cutting only 1/2” deep. (Note: Be careful not to cut all the way through.) Wrap folded edge around clay flower; adhere using hot glue gun. Freehand cut Spring Tickle leaves; hot glue to bottom of clay flower. Hot glue clip to underside of flower. Let set before wearing.
- 1. Press clay into butterfly mold. Press sides flat and release from mold. Cut around butterfly so clay is in 1-1/2” circle shape using clay blade. Bake in oven following manufacturer’s instructions. Let cool.
- 2. Paint clay butterfly circle (1:1) mixture of Calypso Blue and Warm White using #6 shader. Let dry and apply second coat. Let dry. Paint butterfly Purple Cow using #4 round. Let dry and apply second coat. Let dry. Drybrush center of butterfly wings Bright Yellow using #1 round. Let dry. Coat entire butterfly circle with varnish using #6 shader. Let dry.
- 3. Cut yellow ribbon length into twelve 1-1/2" lengths. Fold each length in half; spot glue using hot glue gun. Hot glue folded ribbon lengths around underside of butterfly disc creating “ribbon petals.”
- 4. Tie navy polka dot ribbon into bow. Hot glue butterfly disc on center of bow. Hot glue clip on underside of bow. Let set before wearing.
Purple Fabric Flower
- 1. Cut 2”x12” Wisteria felt strip. Press in half lengthwise. Cut on folded edge every 1/4”, cutting only 1/2” deep. (Note: Be careful not to cut all the way through.) Wrap strip into circular shape and secure ends with hot glue. Cut 2” circle from Wisteria felt. Hot glue wrapped circle on top of circle.
- 2. Cut 2”x16” strip of print fabric. Fold in half lengthwise and press. Baste stitch along raw edge. Pull bottom thread to ruffle fabric. Hot glue ruffled fabric around outer edge of Wisteria felt circle. Hot glue clip on underside of flower. Let set before wearing.
- 1. Sprinkling baby powder into mold first will help when releasing clay.