Burlap Table Runner
- Burlap, 1/2 yd.
- Red cotton fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Sewing machine and matching thread
scissors, ruler or measuring tape, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, sewing needle
- Cut 13”x40” rectangle from burlap. Press well.
- Cut two 4”x42” (binding) and two 5”x30” strips (ruffles) from red cotton fabric.
- Baste stitch along top edge of ruffles. Pull bottom thread to gather. Set aside.
- To make binding, press each strip in half lengthwise. On right side of table runner, match raw edges of one binding strip to raw edge of table runner. Press the unfinished ends under to align with end of burlap. Pin in place and machine-sew using 1/4” seam allowance. Press binding seam open.
- Flip table runner over and fold binding down so it covers seam. Press. Pin in place and hand-sew using ladder stitch. Repeat on other side of table runner.
- Place raw edge ruffles on right side of each end of table runner. Overlap ruffles about 1”. Pin in place and adjust gathers so evenly spaced. Stitch along top using 1/2” seam allowance. Knot and clip thread ends.