Needlepoint Cuff Bracelet
- Nature’s Palette Sapphire Jewel Canvas, 4-1/2”x9”
- DMC: Carnivale Fun (E140) Light Effects, Gold (6200) Memory Thread, Gold (284Z) Metallic Embroidery Thread
- Ultra-suede fabric, 1-1/2”x6-1/2”
- Matching thread
- Copper wire, 18-gauge, 22” length
- Swarovski Elements Aurore Boreale Flat Back Crystals: 3mm, two; 4mm
- DMC Tapestry Needles: size 22, size 24
- Jewelry glue
- 1. Use size 22 needle for stitching and finishing design and size 24 needle for couching Memory Thread.
- 1. Measure and cut 4-1/2”x9” from Sapphire canvas.
- 2. Print out full-size pattern. Follow chart to stitch design. Use four strands of Light Effects to stitch vertical stitches using running stitch with thread running behind canvas. Stitch up one column and down next column; continue until all vertical stitches are complete. (Note: All threads should start and end at top or bottom of design.)
- 3. Follow chart to stitch exterior columns, filling in around corners as shown. Use row of continental stitch between two rows of three stitches.
- 4. Apply Memory Thread around exterior and interior diamond patterns on chart couching with Embroidery Thread. To apply Memory Thread, estimate and cut length as needed, adding extra 1” for ends. Enlarge hole at starting point with needle. Insert end of Memory Thread through hole and turn back 1/4” to back side. Attach couching thread to back side. Couch in place by stitching over Memory Thread every 1/4” as needed to hold in place. Enlarge hole at end and insert send of Memory Thread; tack in place to secure.
- 5. Create two small swirls of Memory Thread using four threads; apply to two centers on diamond patterns referring to photo for placement. Couch in place using Embroidery Thread. Adhere 3mm crystal to center of each swirl. Let dry.
- 6. On center diamond pattern, create larger swirl of Memory Thread using six threads; couch in place using Embroidery Thread. Adhere 4mm crystal to center of swirl. Let dry. Apply Memory Thread around edges of stitched design by couching in place using Embroidery Thread. Knot ends.
- 1. Trim edges of canvas to approximately 3/4”. Whipstitch edges onto back of design using matching thread.
- 2. Measure and cut two copper wire lengths to same size as lengths and edges of stitched design. Bend wire lengths and wrap around edges. Whipstitch wire lengths on back side of bracelet, stitching through canvas, but making sure stitches don’t show on front of design. Cut excess wire; knot thread ends.
- 3. Measure and cut suede fabric to cover under side of bracelet; whipstitch to back of design covering wire lengths. Knot ends. Adjust and bend bracelet into cuff shape to fit wrist.