Pink & Blue Bird Baby Quilt
- White cotton fabric: 8-1/2” squares, 10; 32-1/2”x40-1/2” rectangle
- Pink cotton print fabrics: 10 different 8-1/2” squares
- Blue cotton fabrics: solid (bird bodies), 1/4 yd.; 10 different 2”x3-1/4” (wings)
- White eyelet pre-gathered lace, 1”-wide, 4-1/4 yds.
- Firm cotton batting, 32-1/2”x40-1/2”
- Embroidery floss: blue (slightly darker than solid blue fabric); bright pink
- White sewing thread
- Sewing machine
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Iron-on fusible web for fabric
scissors, ruler, transfer paper, pencil, straight pins
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides
together, using 1/4” seam allowance. Press seams to one side, generally to side with less bulk. Use two strands of floss for all embroidery.
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. For each of the appliquéd white blocks, cut 2”x3-1/4” piece for wings and a piece that is slightly larger than bird body from iron-on fusible web. Fuse iron-on web pieces to the wrong side of the body and wing fabrics, following
manufacturer’s instructions. Cut the
body and wings from the fused pieces.
(Note: Cut five wings and bodies going
in the opposite direction.)
- 2. Place bird bodies and wings on white squares. Bodies should be looking in different directions (up and down) and wings should also be placed on bodies in
different ways so some birds are ready
for flight and others are stationary. All birds should be placed differently in the blocks so they are looking around the quilt. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse bodies and wings to blocks.
- 3. Transfer beaks and eye dots to birds.
Lightly draw lines coming straight down
from bodies for legs with pencil. Blanket stitch around bird bodies, and stem stitch on beak and leg lines with blue floss. Blanket stitch around bird wings and French knots on eye dots with pink floss, wrapping floss around needle three times for each knot.
- 4. Arrange fabric squares in large rectangle, alternating pink and white squares, so there are four across and five down. Pin and sew squares together into five horizontal rows. Next, pin and sew horizontal rows together to complete piecing for top.
- 5. Baste the batting rectangle to the wrong side of the pieced top rectangle close to edges.
- 6. Sew straight edge of lace around front of quilt top 1/4” from edge,
overlapping ends in bottom corner.
- 7. Sew 32-1/2”x40-1/2” white rectangle to
pieced top rectangle with right sides
together, leaving 7” opening on one
side for turning. Trim corners of seam
diagonally. Turn quilt right side out
through opening. Hand sew opening
- 8. Quilt diagonal lines across pin
squares, going through all layers.
- 1. Appliqué birds to other fabrics items, such as pillows, tote bags, towels and more.