Door Banner Series: Merry Christmas
- Roc-Lon fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 3/4” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- Cording, 1 yd.
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Alphabet stencil of choice, 1-1/2”
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7300 Angular Shader 1/2”; Series 7300C Shader #6; Series 247 Crescent 3/8”; Series 7050 Script Liner 10/0, #2; Series 7000C Round #2; Series 410 Deerfoot 1/4”; Series 270 Maxine’s Magic Mop 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Rose, Avocado, Black Plum, Bleached Sand, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Red, Deep Burgundy, Fleshtone, Honey Brown, Khaki Tan, Lamp Black, Mustard Seed, Neutral Gray, Reindeer Moss, Slate Gray
- DecoArt Americana Duraclear Matte Varnish
scissors, ruler, pencil, painter’s tape, stylus, paper towels, container of water, tracing paper, graphite paper, cosmetic-wedge sponge, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Unless a specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting. When floating colors for shading or highlighting, use mop brush to soften floats.
- 1. For banner, measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; finger press. Fold top edge again 1-1/2; finger press. (Note: The top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Use sewing machine and white thread to sew along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out pattern. Trace patterns onto tracing paper.
- 3. Basecoat both sides of fabric rectangle with two coats of Bleached Sand. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” from top and mark using pencil. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 3-1/2” down again and mark, leaving 4” area at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square.
- 5. Basecoat 9” square Reindeer Moss. Basecoat center section Khaki Tan. Basecoat bottom 4” section Reindeer Moss and section to right of 9” square Deep Burgundy. Let dry.
- 6. Paint 1” white section in Lamp Black checks using #6 shader. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to help keep checks straight and uniform. Let dry.
- 7. Use graphite paper to transfer main pattern elements onto each section.
- 8. Basecoat Santa’s face Fleshtone and hat Deep Burgundy. Basecoat hat band and pom-pom Neutral Gray and beard and mustache Bleached Sand. Let dry. Basecoat Christmas tree Reindeer Moss, trunk Honey Brown, tree stand Bleached Sand, and star Mustard Seed. Let dry.
- 9. Transfer details. Shade Santa’s face beneath hat band with sideload float of Burnt Sienna using angular shader. Shade hat Black Plum where end of hat flops over top of hat, above hat band, and above pom-pom. Let dry.
- 10. Stipple Slate Gray on hat band and pom-pom using deerfoot stippler. Let dry. Repeat with Bleached Sand. With thinned Bleached Sand, pull little hairs out around edges of hat band and pom-pom using 10/0 liner. Highlight hat with sideloads of Cadmium Red. Let dry.
- 11. Basecoat Santa’s eyes and inside of mouth Lamp Black, eyebrows with comma strokes of Bleached Sand, and bottom lip with brush mix of Antique Rose and Fleshtone. Let dry.
- 12. Float Antique Rose to bottom of Santa’s nose and on both sides of mouth where mustache hangs over. Float brush mix of Fleshtone and Bleached Sand to highlight top of nose; repeat to highlight bottom of lip. Drybrush cheeks Antique Rose using crescent.
- 13. Add Burnt Sienna wrinkles near eyes and Bleached Sand highlights on eyes. Add Bleached Sand comma stroke to top of nose. Let dry. Shade beneath Santa’s mustache with side-load float of Khaki Tan. Let dry.
- 14. Basecoat holly on hatband Reindeer Moss; highlight outside edges and along center vein line Avocado. Lightly drybrush leaves Deep Burgundy using crescent. Let dry. Basecoat berries Deep Burgundy; shade bottom of each berry Black Plum and highlight tops Cadmium Red.
- 15. Shade under each layer on tree with Avocado. Shade trunk along right side, underneath tree, and above tree stand Burnt Umber. Shade stand along right side Khaki Tan. Shade star Honey Brown.
- 16. Dot ornaments on tree Deep Burgundy, Avocado, and Bleached Sand using end of paintbrush handle. Add Deep Burgundy stripes and Avocado polka dots on tree stand using stylus. Let dry.
- 17. Center stencil on section and stencil “Merry” with Deep Burgundy. Let dry and remove stencil. Stencil “Christmas” with Bleached Sand using #2 liner. Let dry and remove stencil. Highlight left of each letter Avocado using 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 18. Add squiggly Lamp Black double
lines around each section using 10/0 liner. Let dry. Using photo as guide, outline design elements with Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 19. Paint wooden dowel Deep Burgundy and dowel caps Avocado. Let dry.
- 1. Apply varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps to either end. Attach cording around ends of dowel to hang.
- 1. Mask off sections using painter’s tape when basecoating.