Clay Gingerbread House
- Wooden birdhouse, 5”x8-1/2”
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay: White, Pomegranate, Green
- Wooden skewer or thin dowel
- Polyform Sculpey: Essential 11 Piece Tool Kit, Clay Conditioning Machine, Satin Glaze
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Cocoa, Foliage Green, Leaf Green, Milk Chocolate, Napa Red, Red Alert, Titanium White, Yellow Ochre; Snow Writer; Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Loew-Cornell American Painter Paintbrushes: Series 4550 Wash 1”; Series 4400 Angular Shader 1/4, 3/8”; Series 4300 Shader # 4, 12; Series 4000 Round #1, 3; Series 4350 Liner 10/0
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- White tacky glue
wax paper, tracing paper, graphite paper, cardstock, craft knife, ruler, old toothbrush, sandpaper, soft cloth, white chalk, newspaper
- Apply sealer onto all areas of birdhouse using wash. Let dry. Sand lightly and wipe dust with soft cloth. On newspaper-covered work surface, basecoat base Titanium White and walls and roof Cocoa. Paint roof trim and perch (2:1) mixture of Foliage Green + Leaf Green using #4 shader. Paint stripes on door trim Foliage Green. Use craft knife to cut skewer into two 2” lengths and one 3” length (for lollipops). Basecoat skewers Titanium White. Let dry and set aside.
- Use blade to cut chunks of clay. Condition clay by passing through clay machine on thickest setting or knead in hands until soft.
- Print out pattern. Reduce or enlarge size of patterns to fit birdhouse. Cut patterns from cardstock.
- Roll White clay on wax paper on work surface. Position wall, roof, and roof trim patterns on clay; use clay blade to cut out. Cut window pieces in half lengthwise for shutters.
- For cardinals, roll 1/2” ball for large bird and three 1/3” balls for small birds from Pomegranate clay. Use fingers to shape balls into bird shapes. Roll small balls and flatten into wing shapes; press wings on sides of bodies.
- For peppermints, roll 3/4” White clay ball; flatten slightly into disc shape. For peppermint sticks and lollipops, roll White clay into 1”x3” logs. Roll 3/4” Pomegranate clay ball and pea-sized Green clay ball into skinny snakes. Twist snakes together; press onto logs. Roll log gently to blend colors creating striped effect. Cut 5” section (for rooftop). Roll remaining log into 1/8” thickness; cut four 3-1/4” lengths for walls, three 1-1/2” lengths for windowsills, and four 2-1/2” lengths for candy canes. Bend canes on one end. Coil remaining striped clay into three lollipops. Smooth edges of all candies. Push painted skewers into bottom of candies for lollipops.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake all clay pieces on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- Transfer window outlines onto walls. Basecoat window areas Foliage Green + touch of Titanium White using #12 shader. Float shading around inside edges Leaf Green using 1/4” angular shader. Add diagonal highlight lines on windows using Titanium White and liner. Paint window trim Leaf Green. Let dry. Add Titanium White highlight to top edge of trim. Basecoat shutters Red Alert using #12 shader; float highlights Napa Red using 1/4” angular shader. Float highlights on shutters Titanium White.
- Add line work on cardinal’s heads, wings, tails, and masks with thinned Lamp Black and liner. Float highlight on top of each wing Titanium White using 1/4” angular shader. Paint eyes Titanium White using liner. Let dry. Dot eyes Lamp Black using stylus.
- Paint stripes on peppermint disc Red Alert using #3 round; float Napa Red shading using 1/4” angular shader. Paint pinstripes with thinned Leaf Green using liner; drybrush highlights Titanium White using #1 round. Let dry.
- Basecoat wall and roof sections (3:1) mixture Cocoa + Yellow Ochre using #12 shader. Float shading on edges of wall sections and scalloped edges of roof sections Milk Chocolate using 3/8” angular shader. Load old toothbrush with thinned Milk Chocolate and spatter wall and roof sections. Let dry.
- To assemble walls, position house on side. Apply white glue to wall section and adhere in place. Repeat process, adhering each clay section onto house. Apply Snow Writer details between wall sections; let dry before moving on to next section. Adhere roof piece onto top of roof; use Snow Writer to apply paint along scalloped edge trim, allowing paint to seep underneath roof piece. Repeat process, overlapping roof pieces and applying Snow Writer paint. Let dry. Repeat process for other side of roof. Adhere 5”-long peppermint stick to top of roof. Let dry.
- Adhere peppermint on door and large bird onto perch. Adhere shutters onto either side of windows. Apply line of Snow Writer along bottom of windows; press 1-1/2”-long peppermint sticks into snow for windowsills. Let dry. Squeeze drop of Snow Writer onto center of windowsill; press small bird on each windowsill. Adhere lollipops to back of house and candy canes to sides using photos as guide. Let dry.
- Apply Snow Writer to base of house. Let dry. Spatter Titanium White on house randomly; let dry. Apply sealer.