Gingerbread Men Banner
- Muslin fabric, 1 yd.
- Cotton fabric: red/green striped, 1/4 yd.; red gingham, scraps; solid green, scraps
- Thin jute cording
- Cardstock: black, pink
- Pinking shears
- Hole punches: 1/4”, 1/16”
- Heart punch, 1/2”
- Ranger Archival Inks: Russet, Sepia, Coffee; Clear Glossy Accents
- Tulip Scribbles Dimensional Fabric Paints: Iridescent White Mist, Glittering Crystal
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive; Therm O Web HeatnBond Ultrahold Iron-on Adhesive, 1-1/2 yds.
scissors, heavy cardstock or cardboard, fine-point black marker, large-eye sewing needle, stencil brush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Cut patterns from cardstock or cardboard for ease when cutting from fabric.
- Iron fabric to remove wrinkles. Following manufacturer’s instructions, apply iron-on adhesive to muslin (for gingerbread men) and red/green striped fabrics (hearts). Apply iron-on adhesive to scraps of red gingham and green fabrics.
- Trace gingerbread men pattern eight times onto back side of muslin fabric. Trace seven heart shapes onto one side of print fabric. Cut out shapes just outside of lines using pinking shears. Trace 16 apples on red gingham fabric and 16 leaves on green solid fabric; cut out using scissors.
- Punch 16 hearts from pink cardstock using heart punch and sixteen 1/4” circles (eyes) from black cardstock.
- On covered work surface, shade edges of each gingerbread by applying various colors of ink using stencil brush.
- Adhere eyes, heart cheeks, and apple buttons with leaves onto each gingerbread. Draw mouth on each gingerbread using fine-point black marker.
- Apply Glossy Accents to eyes by dotting with end of stencil brush. Apply Glittering Crystal to heart cheeks. Apply Iridescent White Mist to arms and legs for icing. Let dry.
- Punch 1/16” holes on end of arms and on each side of hearts. Cut sixteen 8” lengths from jute twine. Thread jute through back of arm holes and through heart holes using large-eye needle. Tie bow and trim ends. Repeat process, connecting all gingerbread and hearts together, leaving gingerbread on ends with only jute threaded through holes. Tie jute ends into loops to hang.
- 1. To make sure jute bows do not come untied, spot glue with a drop of Glossy Accents on center of each.