Spiders & Spider Den
- FloraCraft® Make it: Fun® Foam: Extruded Wreaths, two 8”, two 14”; Balls, eight 1”, two 8”, 4”, 5”, 6”
- White decorative mesh
- Sheer black ribbon, 1-1/2”-wide
- Black chenille stems
- Black feather boa
- Black wiggle eyes
- Craft batting
- Floral pins
- Craft sticks
- FloraCraft® Make It: Fun® Foam Cutter
- Black acrylic paint
- Low-temp glue gun and sticks
scissors, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler
- For spiral den, cut each wreath in half using foam cutter. Attach ends of half-wreaths together in spiral pattern. Insert craft stick into end of each wreath before adhering them together. Use four 8” half-wreaths for top of spiral. Attach four 14” half-wreaths spiraling to bottom.
- Gather end of mesh and pin it to end of 8” wreath at top of spiral. Tightly wrap mesh around wreaths to completely cover spiral. Cut mesh and pin end again at bottom. Pin black sheer ribbon at top of den and spiral it around wreaths, pinning again at bottom.
- For hanging cocoons, cover 8”, 6”, and 4” balls with craft batting; adhere to secure in place. Cut strips of cheesecloth and loosely wrap each ball, leaving some batting exposed. Cut strips of cheesecloth and adhere and pin to tops of balls for hangers. Hang largest ball from bottom of spiral with pins. Hang 6” ball in center of spiral and 4” ball from top of spiral.
- For large spider, cut 8” and 5” balls in half. Use other half of each ball to create second spider or reserve for future project. Shape head and body of spider into ovals by pressing foam on hard surface. Continue shaping until spider has look you desire. Adhere head to body. Insert craft stick into back of head before attaching to body for secure hold. Paint balls black and set aside to dry.
- Twist two chenille stems together for each of eight legs. Cut 14” lengths of feather boa for each leg. Cut 24 pieces of 1-1/2” chenille stem to use as ties. Secure one end of boa to leg about 1” up from one end. About halfway down leg, secure boa again where leg bends. (Note: The boa will be slightly longer than the end of the stem.) Loop boa and secure loop to end of stem, creating fuzzy foot. Repeat this step for each leg. Secure stem from each leg into body just behind neck (with four on each side).
- Cut two 3” pieces of chenille stem. Fold each piece in half and twist ends together. Shape slight bend in each and adhere into front of face for pinchers. Adhere four eyes on each side of head just above pinchers, as shown.
- For small spiders, paint 1” ball black and let dry. Cut chenille stem in half and fold each half in half again. Adhere folded ends of each half-stem into 1” ball, with two on each side, to create eight legs.
- 1. Add a bunch of smaller hanging spiders around den suspended from ribbon.