Summer Birdhouse and Wind Chimes
- Wooden birdhouse
- Metal wind chimes
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Antique White, Avocado, Blue Haze, Country Red, Dark Chocolate, French Vanilla, Hauser Light Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Avocado, Raw Sienna, Rookwood Red, Uniform Blue, Warm White, Yellow Ochre
- Fishing line
- Royal & Langnickel paintbrushes: Golden Taklon Soft Grip: Series SG150 Shader #6, #10; Series SG160 Angular 1/4", 1/2"; Series SG595 Short Liner #0; Series 700 Glaze/Wash 3/4"; Series 585 Script Liner #2; Series R1112 Short-length White Bristle Stencil 3/8"
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Matte Sealer/Finisher; Wood Sealer
fine-grit sandpaper, soft cloth, copy paper, transfer paper, scissors, drill with bit, ruler
- Drill 1/8" hole in center top of roof and four holes along bottom of birdhouse spacing each 1-1/4" apart. Use fine-grit sandpaper to sand; wipe dust. Apply two coats of sealer. Sand again and wipe dust.
- Print out pattern onto copy paper.
- Use glaze/wash to basecoat roof Lamp Black and house Blue Haze.
- Transfer roof line on birdhouse and details as needed.
- Highlight roof Blue Haze. Shade Uniform Blue around edges of house and around flowers; use chisel edge of brush to lightly paint vertical panel lines, spacing each approximately 1/2" apart. Basecoat birdhouse hole and peg Lamp Black. Highlight birdhouse hole Blue Haze.
- Basecoat leaves Light Avocado; shade Avocado and highlight Hauser Light Green. Basecoat flower centers Raw Sienna; shade Rookwood Red. Deepen shading with Dark Chocolate. Lightly stipple entire flower center Dark Chocolate, then lightly stipple Antique White along top to highlight. Basecoat petals Yellow Ochre; shade Raw Sienna and highlight French Vanilla. Highlight petal ends here and there with Warm White. Use liner to pull thinned Raw Sienna lines from base of petals towards tips. Use stylus to add Dark Chocolate dots in shaded area of flower center and to add Warm White dots in highlight area of flower center.
- Basecoat ladybug body Country Red; shade Rookwood Red. Use Lamp Black to basecoat head, spots, antennae, legs and feet. Use Warm White to paint comma stroke eye and add highlights to front feet. Paint "Zs" Lamp Black. Lightly stipple birdhouse and ladybug Antique White. Let dry.
- To finish, apply several light coats of sealer, making sure to cover all areas for outdoor use. Use fishing line as hanger for wind chime and to hang chimes from drilled holes.
- 1. Adjust pattern size as needed for smaller birdhouse shape or to highlight pattern details on other areas of birdhouse.