Crocheted Baby Headband
- Cotton crochet thread, size 10, 100 yds.
- Contrasting-color variegated cotton crochet thread, size 10, scrap
- Elastic, 1/2”-wide, 13” length
- White sewing thread
- Steel crochet hook, size 5
- Large-eye sewing needle
safety pin, ruler or measuring tape, scissors
- 1. gauge = 3 sl st, 3 hdc in pattern = 7/8”; 7 rows in pattern = 1”
Strips (make two)
- 1. Row 1: With main color, ch 8, sk first 2 ch, *sl st in next ch, hdc in next ch, rep from * across, ch 2, turn. (3 sl st, 3 hdc)
- 2. Row 1: With main color, ch 8, sk first 2 ch, *sl st in next ch, hdc in next ch, rep from * across, ch 2, turn. (3 sl st, 3 hdc)
- 1. With contrasting variegated color, ch 50, 3 hdc in third ch from hook, hdc in each ch across to last ch, 4 hdc in last ch, fasten off. Weave in ends. Tie in bow shape.
- 1. Hold two pieces together, making sure edges are even all the way around. Join thread with sl st through both thicknesses on one long ends (this will be right side of piece) * ch 4, sl st in end of next row, rep from * all way across long side to opposite end of piece making sure to catch both thicknesses. Fasten off.
- 2. Attach bow with length of crochet thread to center of front piece only of headband. Leaving short end of piece open, attach thread with sl st on opposite side of piece to where just fastened off. Repeat edging process down opposite long side. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
- 1. Attach large safety pin to one end of elastic. Insert safety pin into headband. Feeling for pin as you go, pull elastic through headband. Remove pin.
- 2. Overlap ends of elastic 1/4” and sew together with needle and white thread. Bring ends of headband together; whipstitch ends together with crochet thread all the way around being careful not to catch elastic. Weave in ends.
- 1. Instead of a bow, add a fun flower by cutting from fleece or soft fabric and sewing onto side of headband.