Mosaic Hanging Planters
- Clay pots, 6", two
- Ceramic mugs: yellow, three; light blue/white print, five; white, two; dark blue/beige, two
- White tile grout
- Toner Plastics Fun Wire, 18-gauge, 34" lengths: Marshmallow, two; Electra Blue, Buttered Popcorn
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow Titanium White, Buttermilk, Mink Tan, Yellow Ochre, True Ochre, Peaches ’n Cream, Deep Midnight Blue
- DecoArt DuraClear Matte Varnish
- Daler-Rowney Robert Simmons Craft Painter Brushes: Flat Wash, CP55, 3/4"; Flat Shader, Series CP60, #6
- Beacon Adhesives Glass, Metal, & More Adhesive
hammer, masking tape, gloves, safety goggles
- 1. Wear protective gloves and safety goggles when breaking mugs.
- 1. Wrap masking tape around mug handles to prevent handles from cracking. Use hammer to knock handles off one white, yellow, and two dark blue/beige mugs.
- 2. Keep thin strip of mug attached under handle. Break all mugs into pieces. Discard bottom and rim pieces.
- 3. Prop up pots horizontally. Adhere pieces to each section, letting glue set before turning pot. Fit ceramic pieces together, leaving 1/8" space between pieces. Use white, dark blue/beige, and light blue pieces for one pot and yellow and light blue/white pieces for remaining pot. Let dry overnight.
- 4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply grout to pots. Basecoat bottoms Snow Titanium White. Paint dark blue pot rim Deep Midnight Blue and inside mix of equal parts Mink Tan + Buttermilk + Snow Titanium White. Mix equal parts True Ochre + Yellow Ochre + Peaches ’n Cream; paint yellow pot rim and inside. Apply varnish to painted areas.
- 5. For hanger, twist Electra Blue and one Marshmallow wire length together; thread ends through blue pot handles and twist ends to secure. Repeat with remaining wire lengths and yellow pot.
- 1. When breaking ceramic pieces, put ceramic mugs inside heavy-duty plastic bag. Use hammer to break pieces inside bag to keep shards on work surface.