Sewn Home Bin
- Fabrics: exterior, 1/2 yd.; interior, 1/2 yd.; binding, 1/4 yd.
- Heavy-weight interfacing, 1 yd.
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Jute twine
- DecoArt Americana: Alizarin Crimson Acrylic Paint; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Stamps: flower, alphabet
- Sewing machine and thread
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
scissors, craft knife, emery board, toothpick, damp paper towel, foam brush
- On clean work surface, roll clay to 1/8” thickness. Cut one 2” and one 3” circle. Use toothpick to poke holes on top of each circle. Use small flower on Aged and Elegant stamp to press random designs on 3” circle. Use number on Fluid Alphabet stamp to press number on center of 2” circle. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake circles on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. Use emery board to lightly file circle edges.
- Brush Alizarin Crimson into impressions on both clay circles. Wipe excess paint with damp paper towel. Let dry. Apply varnish. Let dry. Cut 7” jute twine length; thread end through holes on circles, stacking circles together. Tie knot. Set circles aside.
- Cut 18” squares from exterior fabric and interior fabric. Cut two 18” squares from interfacing. Position each interfacing square on wrong side of each fabric square. Cut 5” squares from each corner of interfacing fabric. (Note: This will leave fabric piece that looks like large plus sign.)
- Position adjacent corners of exterior fabric plus sign together and pin right sides together. Stitch opening closed with 1/4” seam allowance. Repeat process on all four corners. Repeat process on interior fabric plus sign. (Note: You will now have two separate fabric bins.)
- Position interior bin inside of exterior bin so that right sides of fabric are showing. Pin along top edges, matching selvages. Baste stitch edge.
- For binding, cut binding fabric on bias into two 2-1/4”-wide strips. Sew strips together at ends. Press strip ½” over on long edge on both sides and then in half.
- Pin binding along upper raw edge, folding end of binding under. Stitch along edge.
- Cut two 3”x4” rectangles from same fabric as binding. Position right sides together and stitch along edges with 1/4” seam allowance. Leave 2” opening on side of seam. Turn right side out and pull out corners. Press. Topstitch around edges.
- Use fabric glue to adhere label on center front of bin. Let dry. Hand sew clay tag on center of fabric label.
- 1. Number bins 1-10 and position in store-bought cubby organizer or on bookshelf display.