Happy Hour Tea Towel
- White flour sack towel, 28”x29”
- Green print cotton fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Green rick rack, 1 yd.
- Brown satin ribbon, 3/8”-wide, 1-1/2” length
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Light Tan (437), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), Light Cocoa (3861)
- Green seed beads, two
- Embroidery hoop and needle
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Therm O Web HeatnBond Ultrahold Iron-On Adhesive
scissors, ruler, pencil, transfer paper, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Wash and press towel, fabric, and trim before beginning project.
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Transfer body onto center of towel, 2” from bottom.
- 2. Backstitch as follows: arms, legs, and face 437 Light Tan; hair 938 Ultra Dark Coffee Brown; martini glasses and tray 3861 Light Cocoa. Use 938 Ultra Dark Coffee Brown to backstitch and satin stitch shoes. Knot and clip thread ends. Set aside.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply iron-on adhesive to 2” fabric square. Transfer bodice onto fused fabric; cut out. Fuse bodice onto towel using iron on pressing surface.
- 4. Transfer skirt to 5” fabric square; cut out. Turn raw edges under 1/4”; press and machine-sew along edge to secure. Hand-sew long basting stitch across top of skirt; pull threads and gather to width of waist. Knot and clip thread ends. Use needle and thread to hand-sew skirt to towel.
- 5. For belt, fold raw edges of ribbon under; whipstitch across waist using 938 Ultra Dark Coffee Brown. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 6. For olives, attach beads inside each martini glass using 3861 Light Cocoa. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 7. Cut 5”x29” strip from fabric. With wrong side facing, fold each 5” edge in 1/2”; press. Fold strip in half lengthwise; press. Open strip and sandwich 1” of towel edge inside. Machine-sew close to open edge. Topstitch rick rack across stitched line. Fold raw edges to back and machine-sew in place. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 1. Create additional towels using blue, pink, or purple print fabric for a colorful jewel-toned set.