- BIC round stick pens, three
- Soft polymer clay: red, gold, white, fluorescent pink, metallic purple, black, granite
- Old gift card or promotional credit card (for cutter)
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Needle-nose pliers
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
ruler, plastic tablecloth (to cover work surface)
- 1. Bic pens won’t melt when baked in the oven. Don’t substitute!
- 1. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Use pliers to pull gold tip and ink stick out of pens. Set aside.
- 2. To condition clays, remove from package and roll in hands until soft. (Note: For one pen, 1/3 package of each color is needed.) Flatten clay and fold in half. If clay cracks when folded, keep conditioning.
- 3. For one pen, choose two or three colors to blend together. Use rolling pin to shape clays into 1/8”-thick flat rectangles. Stack two or three different-colored rectangles together. Use rolling pin to flatten clays into one 1/8”-thick rectangle.
- 4. With hands, roll rectangle into tube. Continue rolling tube until colors blend together and clay is smooth.
- 5. Use gift card to slice off pieces from tube. Roll slices onto pen, covering length.
- 6. Smooth out pen by rolling on work surface.
- 7. Place pen on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay.