Autumn Inspiration Throw Pillow
- Fairfield Home Elegance Pillow Form, 14” square
- Black ticking fabric, 1/4 yd.
- White muslin, 1/2 yd.
- Wool felt, scraps: green, beige, red
- Prima Tasha Midnight Fabric Flowers, two
- Adhesive-back gem stones
- Wooden circle, 3”
- Royal and Langnickel Autumn Sentiments E-Z Rub-on Transfers
- Jeweled brads
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Hand drill
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White
- Adhesives: The Warm Co. Lite Steam-A-Seam; Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, ruler, pencil, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, iron and pressing cloth, straight pins, wax candle, sanding block, fabric marking pen, sewing needle, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 7” squares from white muslin and two 7” squares from ticking fabric. Place one ticking fabric square and one muslin square, with right sides together, on work surface. Sew together using 1/2” seam allowance. Repeat for remaining two squares. Join squares together patchwork style as shown by sewing seams together to create pillow front. Steam seams open with iron and pressing cloth. Trim seam edges as needed. Cut one 14” square from remaining muslin (for pillow backing) using rotary cutter and mat.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse wool felt to fusible webbing using iron.
- Print out patterns. Transfer leaf shapes onto paper side of fused felt; cut out. Peel paper from leaf shapes and pin on pillow front, positioning leaves on center of each ticking stripe or muslin square as shown. Use iron to fuse in place, removing straight pins after adhering.
- Use sewing machine to straight stitch edges of leaves in place.
- On covered work surface, paint front of wooden circle Lamp Black. Let dry. Rub surface randomly with wax candle. Paint two or three coats of Snow White on wooden circle. Let dry. Sand front of circle revealing distressed finish.
- Trim around Autumn Sentiments rub-ons and follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply onto wooden circle. Use hand drill to drill two small holes on sides of circle. Place circle on center of pillow and use fabric marking pen to mark tiny dot through center of drilled holes on pillow front. Use scissors to cut tiny slit in marked holes for insertion of jeweled brads. Place jeweled brads through holes on circle and poke slits on pillow; secure brads and circle on pillow front.
- Position pillow front and back with right sides together. Sew left, top and right sides together using 1/2” seam allowance, leaving bottom open for turning.
- Turn pillow right side out and insert pillow form. Use whipstitch and sewing needle to sew bottom opening closed.
- Use gem glue to adhere flowers onto circle as shown. Press self-adhesive gems on circle.
- 1. Remove wooden circle with embellishments to launder pillow in cold water on delicate cycle in washing machine.