- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens): Black; Brown; Light Brown; Orange; Green; White
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): White; Black; Green; Brown
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Buttons, 1/2”: green, six; black, four
- Felt beads: orange; black
- Black tulle, 16”x16”
- Black ribbon, 1-1/2”-wide, 18” length
- Needles: sewing; crewel
- Optional: Sizzix Big Kick Machine with circle and flower dies (Ellison)
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Print and cut out patterns. For each animal, cut two bodies and tails from felt. Cut four pieces of felt for each arm and leg. Six pieces are neede for the owl’s wings and feet and six more for the dog’s ears.
- Stack the three layers of felt for each owl wing and foot, and dog’s ears. Pin them together and place them in sewing machine. Make a seam 1/4” from outside edge to join layers together. Add decorative loops to inside feather bumps of owl wing, two additional decorative inner seams on dog ears and a loop across middle of each owl foot.
- Pair two layers of felt together for arms, legs and tails. Pin and stitch around 1/4” from outside edge, leaving square ends open for stuffing. Lightly stuff limbs and tails.
- Position one layer of each body on work surface. Place wings (owl), ears (dog), feet (owl), arms/legs/tail (cat and dog) between notches in corresponding body pieces. Lay second body piece on top, lining it up with piece underneath. Make sure ends of all limbs are trapped between two body layers, and pin edges together. Stitch around outside of body catching all pieces in your seams, leaving a 2” opening for stuffing.
- Push stuffing into body, using a chopstick or knitting needle to reach corners, if needed. Place animal back in machine to sew opening closed.
- For dog, die cut or hand cut the following felt circles: three 1-1/2” from Light Brown (paws and snout); black 1” from Black (nose). Sew snout to face, then fold black nose in half and sew to top of snout. Use black floss to stitch “w” shaped mouth and to make a decorative running stitch to attach circle to each paw. Sew button eyes to head as shown.
- For cat, die cut or hand cut the following felt circles: two 1-1/2” from White (eyes); two 1” from Black (inner eyes). Stitch white eyes to cat’s face, then black inner eyes followed by 1/2” buttons. Use black floss to stitch black felt bead nose in place and to stitch a “w” shaped mouth. Use white floss to stitch two white whiskers on each side of face.
- For owl, die cut or hand cut the following felt circles: two 1-1/2” from black (outer eyes); two 1” from White and two 1” from Orange (inner eyes); 1” from Brown (beak). Use green floss to stitch black outer eyes to owl’s face. Use sewing needle and thread to sew white and orange inner eyes, followed by 1/2” buttons to face. Fold brown beak in half and use brown floss to stitch it together. Sew beak to face as shown.
- For hat, cut both hat templates from black felt and die cut flower from green felt. Fold cone shape and use black thread to hand sew sides together for form a cone. Sew base of cone to center of hat base. To finish, sew green flower and orange felt bead center to base of hat. Sew hat to top of cat’s head.
- For tutu, sew a straight running stitch down center of tulle. Pull ends to gather fabric so it measures 9” long. Fold tulle in half, so skirt is 8” long. Machine sew gathered folded edge to center section of ribbon. Be careful to position seam along one edge of ribbon. Fold other edge of ribbon over folded tulle and machine sew it in place. Trim bottom hem of skirt with pinking shears. Tie ribbon ends around cat to attach finished skirt.
- For collar and necktie, cut collar from white felt and necktie from two layers of green and one layer of black felt. Wrap white collar around owl’s neck and stitch ends together behind neck. Layer necktie pieces together and machine sew 1/4” from edges. Add decorative diagonal seams, and hand sew top of tie to center front of collar.
- For ghost costume, cut costume from two layers of white felt. Lay top piece over dog to check placement of ears, eyes and mouth. Cut openings and pin front piece to back. Hand sew pieces together, leaving large enough openings to accommodate ears and paws. Place finished ghost costume on dog.