Velvet Gelt Bags
- Crushed velvet, 1/4 yd.
- Walnut Hollow Creative Metal Aluminum Metal Roll
- Wooden ovals, 2”
- Metal-rimmed jeweled brads or silver brads, four
- Ribbon, 7/8”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Sewing machine and thread
- Hanukkah-themed rubber stamp
- Paper trimmer, die-cut machine, embossing folder
- Acrylic paint: white, black
- Black pigment ink
- Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, ruler, paintbrush, sanding block, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, hole punch, wax candle, stylus, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- On covered work surface, paint wooden ovals black. Let dry. Randomly rub wax candle over surface. Paint ovals three coats of white, letting each coat dry before applying additional paint. Let dry. Use sanding block to randomly rub surface and reveal distressed finish.
- Stamp candle or dreidel image on center of oval using pigment ink. Ink edges of oval. Set aside.
- Use paper trimmer to cut 2-1/2”x4-1/2” metal rectangle. Place metal in embossing folder; run through die-cutting machine. Use tacky glue to adhere oval on center of metal. Set aside.
- Cut two 6”x4” velvet rectangles for bag front and back. Using 1/2” seam allowance, fold 1/2” over (for cuff) along top edge; sew cuff in place. Place wrong sides of bag together and sew left, bottom, and right sides together, leaving top open. Steam seams open and turn bag right side out.
- Measure and cut two 8” ribbon lengths (for handles). Pin handles to front and back of bag, positioning ribbon ends inside. Machine sew handles to bag using sewing machine.
- Use tacky glue to adhere metal rectangle onto front of bag. Punch hole in each corner on rectangle; insert brads and bend ends on back.
- 1. Use stylus to emboss aluminum foil if die-cutting machine and metal roll is unavailable.