Frosty Friends Skating Party
- Della & Company Rectangle with Heart Attached Wire Hanger (FT2182)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Black, Bright Green, Brilliant Red, Cadmium Orange, Calypso Blue, Cool White, Leaf Green, Light Buttermilk, Moon Yellow, Napa Red, Soft Blue, Sour Apple, Titanium White, True Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Light
- Ribbon of choice
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7050 Script Liner 10/0; Series 7300 Flat Shader #2; Series 7350 Liner #2, 4; Series 7400 Angular Shader, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Series 7500 Filbert #2, 4; Series 7550 Flat Glaze 3/4”; Series 270 Oval Mop 1/4”, 1/2”; Series 410 Deerfoot Stippler 1/8”, 1/4”
- DecoArt: Multi-Purpose Sealer, Easy Float
- Krylon Matte Finish Spray
- Rust-Oleum Gray Auto Body Primer
- Drywall tape
- Circle template, 2-3/4” diameter
dish soap, double-ended stylus, tracing paper, white and gray graphite, sandpaper, chalk pencil, palette knife, soft white eraser, old toothbrush, palette, container of water, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Use appropriate-size brush for area working in. Use filberts for basecoating and liners for lining and detail work.
- 1. Sand ornaments with sandpaper in circular motion. Wash with warm soapy water and rinse well. Let dry.
- 2. On covered work surface, spray ornaments Gray following manufacturer’s instructions. Let dry. Use palette knife to mix (3:1) mixture Soft Blue + Calypso Blue on palette. Use #20 flat to basecoat front of ornaments using slip slap motion. Let dry. Repeat.
- 3. Use chalk pencil and 2-3/4" circle template to trace circle on center front of each ornament. Basecoat area outside of circles and back of ornaments True Blue. Let dry.
- 4. Trace line across each circle (for horizon line) using stylus and gray graphite. Use 1/4" angular to float highlights (2:1) mixture of Moon Yellow + Yellow Light across top of horizon line into sky area. Use oval mop to soften water edge of floats. Float Cool White below horizon line (for pond) to look like ice.
- 5. For checked design on four corners, use drywall tape to tape off sections. Use stipple brush to pick up (1:1) mixture of Calypso Blue + True Blue on brush; wipe some color on paper towel. Stipple over tape on each corner creating checked design. Stipple again using Light Buttermilk. Pick up Cool White on brush; highlight center of checked areas. Let dry. Use 1/4" angular to float/shade True Blue around inside edges of circles. Let dry. Use 3/8” angular to lightly float/shade Ultra Blue Deep around inside and outside of circles going over checked designs in corners.
- 6. Print out patterns onto tracing paper. Lightly transfer snowmen bodies onto each ornament using stylus and gray graphite. (Note: After snowmen bodies are painted, transfer faces, hats, scarves, coats, mittens, and ice skates.)
- 7. For snowmen heads and bodies, use 1/4” deerfoot stippler and (1:1) mixture of Calypso Blue + True Blue to stipple shapes of snowman head and bodies. Wipe brush on paper towel; pick up Light Buttermilk on brush and lighten faces and bodies with snow letting some background color show through. Pick up Cool White on brush and stipple in snow to highlight.
- 8. For snowmen faces, dot eyes Black and let dry. Push small end of stylus into center of eyes to create indentation. Paint Cool White highlight on right of eyes. Line mouths Black. Very lightly float/shade Black to one side of eyes and under mouths. Paint noses Cadmium Orange. Outline back edge and underneath nose Brilliant Red; float highlight Yellow Light across top of nose.
- 9. Paint snowmen buttons Black. Use 1/4” angular to float/shade True Blue around faces, under hats and scarves, and to separate arms from bodies. Deepen shading by lightly applying Ultramarine Blue floats where needed.
- 10. For snowmen’s ice skates, paint shoes and blades Black. Highlight toe area with float and outline of blades Cool White.
- 11. For snowman with red hat and scarf, paint hat and scarf Brilliant Red. Paint hatband Moon Yellow. Stripe scarf Moon Yellow and tap in Bright Green dots between stripes. Float/shade and outline shaded areas on hat and scarf Napa Red. Highlight with floats of Yellow Light. Line between hatband and hat Yellow Light. Line in hat and scarf fringe Moon Yellow, Bright Green, and Brilliant Red. Float/shade bottom of hat and scarf Ultramarine Blue. Float/shade outside of snowman True Blue; apply light floats of Ultramarine Blue where needed. Paint heart and ornament handle Napa Red. Let dry. Place drywall tape over heart and stipple Brilliant Red then Cadmium Orange; highlight with (3:1) mixture of Cadmium Orange + Yellow Light. Use end of paintbrush handle to add Napa Red dots around circle; let dry. Dot again Brilliant Red and Cadmium Orange. Let dry. Position 2-3/4" circle on tracing paper; cut out circle and set aside. Place tracing paper over ornament (with circle cut out) over painted circle; use old toothbrush to spatter inside of circle Cool White. Let dry. Float/shade Ultramarine Blue around inside of circle to soften snow around edges. Let dry.
- 12. For snowman with yellow hat and scarf, paint hat and scarf Moon Yellow and hatband Bright Green. Use stylus to tap in Brilliant Red and Bright Green dots. Float/shade and outline shaded areas on hat and scarf Cadmium Orange; highlight with Yellow Light floats. Stripe hatband Sour Apple; float/shade and outline Leaf Green. Line scarf fringe Leaf Green and Brilliant Red; float/shade Ultramarine Blue at bottom of this area. Stipple Cool White pom-pom at hat top. Float/shade True Blue around outside of snowman and apply light floats of Ultramarine Blue where needed. Paint heart and ornament handle Cadmium Orange. Let dry. Place drywall tape over heart; stipple Moon Yellow and then Yellow Light. Use end of paintbrush handle to add Cadmium Orange dots around circle; let dry. Dot again Moon Yellow and Yellow Light. Let dry.
- 13. For snowman with green hat and coat, paint hat and coat Bright Green. Stripe, float/shade, and outline Leaf Green; highlight Sour Apple. Paint hatband, scarf, and mittens Brilliant Red. Stripe hatband, scarf, and mitten cuffs Moon Yellow. Float/shade and outline shaded areas Napa Red; highlight with floats of Yellow Light. Paint Brilliant Red button on coat and add Moon Yellow thread dots. Stipple Cool White pom-pom at hat top. Float/shade True Blue around outside of snowman and apply light floats of Ultramarine Blue where needed. Let dry. Paint heart and ornament handle Leaf Green. Let dry. Place drywall tape over heart and stipple Bright Green and then Sour Apple. Use end of paintbrush handle to add Leaf Green dots around circle; let dry. Dot again Bright Green and Sour Apple. Let dry.
- 14. To finish, erase any graphite lines. Apply matte varnish. Let dry. Tie ribbon bows at tops of ornaments.
- 1. Add Easy Float to the water to make liner work and floating easier.