- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3” cube and 2” ball (body); two 1” balls (hands); two 1-1/2” balls (feet)
- Bendable plastic drinking straws
- Repurposed objects: bottle caps, brads, screws, bolts, watch parts, tacks, buttons, beads, and sequins
- Chenille stems: silver, red
- Silver acrylic paint
- Adhesives: thick white craft glue, low-temp glue gun and sticks
scissors, heavy glass container, plastic knife, wooden skewer, paintbrush or sponge scrap, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Using plastic knife, cut 2” ball in half. Adhere one half (head) to top of 3” cube. Save other half for future craft project.
- Insert wooden skewer into bottom of robot body and four foam balls. (Note: This will serve as handle while painting pieces.) Paint body and four balls silver. Place skewer into heavy container while paint dries.
- Create arms and legs from lengths of drinking straws, chenille stems, and foam balls. Cut 3” length of drinking straw, including accordion elbow joint, if desired. Thread 4” length of chenille stem through straw and push one end of chenille stem into foam ball. Spot glue to secure with craft glue. Twist opposite end of chenille stem into small loop.
- To attach arms and legs to body, thread 2” length of chenille stem through loop at end of arm or leg; push ends of 2” chenille stem directly into robot’s body. Spot glue to secure with craft glue.
- Decorate robot with repurposed finds. Use low-temp glue gun to adhere heavier items.
- For hanger, twist together ends of 8” length of chenille stem. Insert and adhere ends into the robot’s head using craft glue. Let dry.
- 1. If working with younger kids, assemble robots ahead of time. Have kids paint and decorate as desired.