Clay Poinsettia Gift Box
- Papier-mâché box with lid, 6-1/2”x8”x4”
- Polyform Sculpey III Oven Bake Clay: Lime, Emerald, Yellow, Red
- Polyform Sculpey Tools: Leaves and Vines Texture Maker, Clay Acrylic Roller, Super Slicer
- Clay leaf cutter, 1-1/2”
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Jacquard Lumiere Paints: Sunset Gold, Bright Gold, Metallic Bronze
- Jacquard PearlEx Brilliant Gold Powdered Pigment
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, paper plate for palette, plastic place mat (for work surface), paintbrush, sponge scrap
- Condition clay until soft and pliable. Roll out sheet of Red, Lime, and Emerald clays separately to about 1/8” thickness on plastic place mat. Press texture maker onto each clay sheet. Cut out 12 leaf shapes from Red clay for flower petals. Cut out six leaf shapes from Lime clay and nine leaf shapes from Emerald clay.
- Place seven petals in circle, slightly touching each other on parchment-lined baking tray. Press other five petals to top and between first circle of petals. Press gently in center, making sure petals touch.
- Place three Lime clay leaves beneath flower. Place Emerald leaves beneath flower. Set three Lime leaves and one Emerald leaf on tray separately from flower.
- Roll small ball of Yellow clay; press and flatten on center of flower. Roll several tiny Yellow balls and press on flattened center. Use craft brush to apply Brilliant Gold powdered pigment over entire flower and leaves. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake in oven at 275º for about five minutes. Do not over bake. Let cool before removing.
- Cut 1” square of kitchen sponge. Pour puddle of each metallic paint color onto paper plate. Dip sponge in darkest color and dab paint on outside of box and lid. Let dry. Dip sponge into next lightest color and randomly paint over first color in dabbing motion. Let dry. Apply last and lightest color randomly over box and lid. Let dry.
- Apply glue to back of poinsettia/leaf combo and press on box on corner of box lid. Adhere remaining leaves on box as shown in photo.
- Place tissue paper inside box. Add cookies or candy or a special gift inside.
- 1. Substitute a clay leaf cutter by drawing a leaf shape on cardstock. Trace cardstock leaf onto sheets of clay and cut out.