Valentine Heart Box
- Heart-shaped paper-mâché box with lid, 4-1/2”x4-1/2”x3-1/4”
- AMACO Cloud Clay: Black, White, Purple, Red
- Heart cookie cutters, assorted sizes
- AMACO Clay Roller
container of water, waxed paper, ruler, craft knife, pencil
- On waxed paper, remove clay from packages and condition separately in hands.
- Place lid on box and mark bottom edge with pencil.
- Blend tiny amount Red clay with slightly more than three-quarters of White clay to create pink color. Use clay roller to roll 1/4”-thick sheet. Cut clay into pieces to cover outside of box and lid. On box base, cover area of box below pencil line. Keep lid and box separate until completely dry to avoid clay adhering to itself.
- Roll Black clay into 1/4”-thick sheet. Use small heart cookie cutter, approximately 1/2” tall, to cut several hearts from clay; press around bottom of box. (Note: If clay doesn’t stick to itself, dampen slightly with wet fingertip before pressing into position.)
- Use craft knife and ruler to cut several 1/2”x3/4” rectangles from black clay sheet; set aside.
- Mix small amount Purple clay into remaining White clay to create light purple color. Roll clay into 3/4”-thick sheet. Cut large heart from clay and press to center of box lid; press black rectangles around heart. Set lid aside to dry completely.
- Roll remaining Black clay into long, 1/4”-thick sheet. Cut 1/2”-wide strip down length of clay and press around top edge of box base, leaving narrow strip of bare box visible for lid to rest upon. (Note: Clay will shrink slightly as it dries.) Set box aside to dry completely.
- 1. Use a metallic paint marker to personalize the purple heart with a name or special message.