Mardi Gras Mask
- AMACO Cloud Clay: Purple, Green, Yellow, White
- Large green feathers
- Sequins: gold, green
- Seed beads
- Wooden dowel, 3/8” diameter, 12” length
- AMACO Polyroller Acrylic Roller
- Needle and thread
- Purple acrylic paint
craft knife, wax paper, ruler, plastic wrap, scissors, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Mix small ball of White clay with half block of Purple clay. Knead until blended into light purple color. Use acrylic roller to roll light purple clay to 1/4” thickness on non-stick work surface.
- Form clay sheet into flat mask shape. Cut holes for eyes. Position mask on curved surface covered with cling wrap so mask will dry and conform to face. Let set until surface dries.
- Mix small ball White clay with tiny ball Green clay; roll light green clay into 3/8” thickness. Cut out two large diamond shapes. Press shapes onto bottom of mask. (Note: The wet clay will adhere to dry clay.) Repeat process to mix White clay and Yellow clay, creating gold clay. Cut three diamond shapes from gold clay and press onto top and center of mask. Let dry.
- Adhere large green feathers along top edge on back of mask by attaching with scrap log of light purple clay.
- Sew row of green and gold sequins around front of mask anchoring each sequin with seed bead.
- Paint wooden dowel purple. Adhere end of dowel onto back of mask using scrap of light purple clay.
- 1. Lightly moisten clay with damp sponge when adhering pieces together.