Happy Eye Cane Vase
- White rounded vase or jar
- Polyform Sculpey III Clay: Fuchsia Pearl, Ballerina, Granny Smith
- Polyform Clay Conditioning Machine
- Polyform Super Slicer Blade
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
wax paper or aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line work surface with wax paper or foil.
- On clean work surface, condition clay by running each color separately through clay machine several times until soft and pliable. Clean hands between colors to prevent color transfer.
- Roll Fuchsia Pearl and Ballerina clays separately through clay conditioning machine on thickest setting. Trim both sheets to 2-1/2”x4”.
- Layer clay sheets together and roll through clay conditioning machine again, creating one sheet. Trim edges.
- Form small Granny Smith clay log. Trim log to width of duo-color clay sheet. Lay log across center of Ballerina side of clay sheet.
- Gently fold clay sheet in half so Granny Smith log is trapped inside. Press clay along log to eliminate air bubbles between log and sheets.
- Roll sheets into “jelly roll” starting from folded edge of clay. Gently roll cane up and smooth edge of sheet to roll.
- Reduce cane to 3/4” diameter by rolling it evenly across work surface many times.
- Using Super Slicer, slice cane into 1/16”-thick slices.
- Carefully place slices around bottom of vase in desired pattern, making sure all slices touch each other at sides so they will stay connected once baked.
- When cane slices are all in place, gently press to surface of vase. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay. Let cool.
- 1. Be sure vase or jar has bulbous shape to trap clay slices and prevent them from sliding off in either direction.