Floss Floral Pillow
- Fabrics, 11”x18”: brown cotton, natural duck cloth
- Pillow form, 10”x17”
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Light Blue (747), Ivory (746)
- Metal washers, 1/4” (inside diameter), nine
- Round mirrors, 8mm, five
- Brown seed beads
- Fabric Cafe Chenille Brush
- Embroidery hoop
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, chalk, copy paper, transfer paper, ruler
- Cut 65 Light Blue and 52 Ivory 3” floss lengths. Tie one strand to washer. See Fig. 1. Tie 12 more strands of same color around washer to complete flower. Repeat with remaining washers, for five Light Blue and four Ivory flowers. Trim floss ends 1/4” from knots.
- Hold flower in one hand, protecting knots with your fingertips and exposing floss ends. Use chenille brush to fluff ends. Repeat with remaining flowers. Adhere mirror to back of each blue flower; let dry.
- Print out pattern. Use transfer paper to transfer pattern on brown fabric. Place fabric in embroidery hoop. Using embroidery needle and Ivory floss, backstitch flower stems. Cut 12” Ivory floss length. Use embroidery needle to thread free ends through each side of stitched stems. Tie bow and trim ends. Remove fabric from hoop.
- Adhere flowers to brown fabric where indicated by dots on pattern. Place small amount of glue on centers of ivory flowers and fill with beads; let dry.
- With right sides facing and using 1/4” seam allowance, stitch brown and duck cloth rectangles together, leaving 6-1/2” opening at bottom for turning. Trim corners at angle; turn right side out.
- Insert pillow form into cover. Fold in seam allowance and hand sew opening closed.
- 1. Add a bright pop of color by using fuchsia or turquoise embroidery floss.