Cross-Stitch Flower Basket
- Wichelt Imports 28-count Lime Hand-Dyed Jobelan (429-521)
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- The Gentle Art Sampler & Shaker Thread 6-Strand Floss
- Buttons: 1/2”; 3/8”; 1/4”, three
- Satin ribbon, 1/8”-wide: yellow, blue
- Foam core board, 5-1/2”x4”
- Straight pins and colored beads
- Q-snap or hoop (optional)
- Backstitch: >1 or 2 strands
- Cross-stitch: >2 strands
scissors, sewing needle, craft knife, ruler
Size / Stitch Count
- 1. Approximate size of design:3-1/8”x4-3/8”; stitch count: 44 w x 62 h
- 1. Print cross-stitch chart and key.
- 2. Cross-stitch design centered on fabric over two threads. (Note: When stitching with Gentle Art Floss, complete each cross-stitch individually to achieve unique over-dyed look.)
- 3. Backstitch flowers and basket with one strand DMC 3031 Mocha Brown-VY DK. Backstitch plaid on basket with two strands The Gentle Art 0270 Tutti Fruitti, 0780 Hibiscus, and 0850 Hyacinth as shown.
- 4. Attach buttons over flower centers using two strands of coordinating floss.
- 5. Use embroidery needle to gently poke yellow ribbon ends through sides of basket so ends are in front; stitch to attach. Tie bow; trim ends.
- 6. To finish, cut 5-1/2”x4” from foam core board. Center design over foam core board; fold two sides of design over and trim fabric leaving 1” border.
- 7. Thread sewing needle with doubled length of thread; knot end. Beginning in top corner of folded fabric, sew along edge, attaching design to foam core board, gently pulling thread to gather. Repeat process for other three sides. Knot ends.
- 8. Thread colored beads on straight pins. Attach blue ribbon around edges using threaded pins. Gently loop ribbon up to create ruffled edge. Trim ends.
- 1. Save time by substituting fabric glue for attaching design on foam core board. Place layer of batting between design and glue so glue won’t seep through on front.