“Under the Sea” Pocket Necklace
- Light blue 14-count Aida
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Kreinik Pearl #4 Blending Filament
- Mill Hill Beads: Sea Blue Seed (02015), Crème de Mint Bugles (72020), Aqua Ice Medium Bugles (82054)
- Green clear acrylic heart beads, seven
- Light blue beads: Austrian crystal, 15; flat-edge watermelon rounds, two; small flat ovals, four
- Large oval beads, two each: blue/green, sparkly blue
- Gold toggle clasp
- Beading wire or thread
- Sewing machine and light blue thread
- Needles: sewing, beading
- Fabric glue
- Backstitch: >1 strand
- Cross-stitch: >2 strands
- French Knot: >1 strand (wrapped one time)
- Half Stitch: >2 strands
- Quarter Stitch: >2 strands
ruler, scissors, q-snap or hoop, iron and pressing surface, chalk
- Cross-stitch design centered on fabric using two strands of floss. Half-stitch ocean background using two strands of floss in colors as indicated in key. Quarter-stitch bubbles using two strands Kreinik #4 Blending Filament 032 Pearl.
- Backstitch design using one strand floss as follows: around blue fish and bubbles DMC 820 Royal Blue-VY DK; around green fish and right side of seaweed DMC 890 Pistachio Green-UL DK; on left side of seaweed DMC 724 Chartreuse-BRT. Knot and clip ends.
- Complete French Knots for fish eyes using one strand floss in DMC 820 Royal Blue-VY DK on blue fish and DMC 890 Pistachio Green-UL DK on green fish.
- To create pocket, trim around stitched design with 1/8” border. Position stitched design on Aida; trace around design and cut out. With right sides facing, match edges on stitched design and traced Aida piece. Machine-sew around edges using 1/8” seam allowance, leaving top edge open. Turn pocket right side out. Fold and press top edges to inside of pocket; adhere using fabric glue. Let dry.
- For fringe, from left to right, measure and mark nine evenly-spaced marks along bottom edge of pocket using chalk. Insert beading needle through inside bottom of pocket on mark for fringe #1; thread three Sea Blue seeds, Crème de Mint bugle, Sea Blue seed, Aqua Ice bugle, Sea Blue seed, Austrian crystal, green heart, Sea Blue seed. Insert needle back through green heart bead and all previous beads, coming back up through pouch. Pull thread fairly tight. Do not knot ends.
- Insert needle into fringe #2; thread three Sea Blue seeds, Crème de Mint bugle, Sea Blue seed, Aqua Ice bugle, Sea Blue seed. Insert needle into Aqua Ice bugle and back through all previous beads, coming back up through pouch. Pull thread fairly tight.
- Insert needle into fringe #3 and repeat beading as in fringe #1. Insert needle into fringe #4 and repeat beading as in fringe #2. Continue beading patterns for remaining even- and odd-numbered fringe. For fringe #9, knot and clip thread ends on inside of pocket.
- For neck chain, cut two 14” lengths of beading wire/thread. Thread beading needle with length; attach to inside top of pocket by sewing to folded edge. Repeat for other beading wire/thread length on opposite folded edge.
- For right side of necklace, thread onto wire/thread as follows: five Sea Blue seeds, Crème de Mint bugle, five Sea Blue seeds, Aqua Ice bugle, five Sea Blue seeds, Austrian crystal, light blue flat oval, Austrian crystal, large blue/green oval, light blue flat oval, Austrian crystal, five Sea Blue seeds, Crème de Mint bugle, five Sea Blue seeds, Austrian crystal, light blue watermelon round, large sparkly blue oval, green heart, Austrian crystal. Thread remaining length with five Sea Blue seeds, Crème de Mint bugle, five Sea Blue seeds, Aqua Ice bugle until desired length is achieved. Attach one end of toggle clasp; knot and trim end. Spot glue knot to secure.
- For left side of necklace, repeat beading pattern as in Step 9 for right side. Attach other end of toggle clasp; knot and trim thread end. Spot glue knot to secure.
- 1. On work surface, lay out beading pattern before beginning to thread onto neck chain. Adjust pattern as desired.