Cross-Stitch “Awake to Nature”
- Wichelt Imports 28-count Forget Me Not Blue Jobelan, 9”x9”
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Coordinating fabric, 12”x12”, two
- Batting, 12”x12”
- Just Another Button Company buttons: Tiny Frank’s Cardinal (113T), Frog (1140), Small Blue Jay (1166S), Bunny (NH1009S)
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Backstitch: >1 or 2 strands
- Cross-stitch: >2 strands
- Half-stitch: >2 strands
- Straight Stitch: >2 strands
scissors, needle, q-snap or hoop, measuring tape or ruler, pencil
- Stitch design centered on fabric over two threads. (Note: Trees are half-stitched from lower left to upper right corner.)
- Backstitch hexagon outline and “HAVE A GREAT DAY” with one strand DMC 798 Delft Blue-DK. Backstitch all other wording with two strands DMC 334 Baby Blue-MD. Backstitch musical notes and birds with two strands DMC 3799 Pewter Gray-VY DK. Knot and clip thread ends.
- Straight stitch sun rays with two strands DMC 725 Topaz. Straight stitch movement lines around critters with two strands DMC 3799 Pewter Gray-VY DK. Knot and clip thread ends.
- To finish, layer stitched fabric with batting and one coordinating fabric square (backing). Cut 3”-wide strips from remaining coordinating fabric square. Draw pencil lines 3/4” outside stitched area on front of stitched piece. Place 3” strip on drawn line on one side of stitching with right sides together; machine-sew using 1/4” seam allowance. Repeat process attaching borders on top, bottom, and remaining side. Trim batting and backing even with finished top on all sides. Sew line of stitching next to edges of border around entire design using stitch in the ditch method.
- Attach buttons with two strands coordinating floss as indicated by dots on chart. Knot thread ends.
- 1. Stitch entire project and finish wall hanger before adding buttons.