Wide-Brimmed Beach Hat
- Main fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Lining fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Fusible interfacing, 1/2 yd.
scissors, iron and pressing surface
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2”.
- 1. Print out patterns. Trace and cut out patterns from fabric and fusible interfacing.
- 2. With right sides together, align curved edges of two hat top pieces from main fabric; pin in place, matching raw edges. Stitch along one curved edge, taking 1/2” seam allowance. Press seam open. Take another hat top piece and with right sides together, match curved edge on other curved edge of first hat top piece. Press seam open. (Note: You will now have three hat top pieces sewn together on each of the curved sides of first piece.) Repeat this process with other three hat top pieces. With right sides together, match two halves of hat tops at curved raw edges. Pin in place and stitch along curved edges. Press seam open and turn right side out. Repeat this entire process with hat lining pieces. Set both aside.
- 3. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse interfacing to wrong side of each hat brim piece from main fabric. Take both hat brim pieces from main fabric and stitch ends together, placing right sides together. Press seams open. (Note: This will give you an elliptical-shaped hat brim.) With right sides together, pin hat top from main fabric to inside of hat brim, matching raw edges. Stitch. Clip seams to release curve. Repeat this process with hat top and hat brim from lining fabric.
- 4. With right sides together, insert lining hat inside main fabric hat. Pin around outer edge of brim, matching raw edges. Stitch around outside of brim, leaving 5” opening at back. Turn hat out through opening. Press open edges under 1/2”; machine topstitch around outer brim 1/8” from edge. Press entire hat.
- 1. Make a paper template pattern of hat before beginning to sew.