Gardener's Apron & Kneeling Pad
- Fabrics: large floral print, 1 yd.; stripe, 1/3 yd.
- Ribbon, 7/8”, 2-1/4 yd.
- Foam, 2” thick, 8”x16”
- Sewing machine and matching thread
scissors, ruler, pencil, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Cut 24”x31” rectangle from floral fabric. Fold in half lengthwise. Use pencil to mark 6” from fold at top edge, 8” from top, and 14” from top along selvage edge. Use pencil to draw a line from 6” mark down, 8” then curve line to meet with 14” mark on selvage edge. Use scissors to cut along line, creating one-piece apron shape.
- 2. Fold side and bottom edges in 1-1/2”; press. Open up and fold edges into crease and press again. Use straight stitch to top stitch along entire edge of apron. Fold top edge in 2”, press. Open up and fold raw edge into crease and press. Use straight stitch to top stitch along entire top edge of apron. Cut and sew 22” ribbon length to top two edges for neck loop, and two 28” lengths at sides for apron ties.
- 3. Cut 8-1/2” square from striped fabric. Fold in all edges 1/2”; press. Use pencil to mark bottom two corners 2” from bottom edge and 2” in from each side. Use pencil to draw line between marks and press along line to create clipped corners. Use straight stitch to top stitch along entire shape of pocket. Use straight stitch to sew pocket to apron, leaving top edge open.
- 1. Use sharp scissors to cut 8”x16” rectangle from foam. Cut 11”x19” rectangle from floral and stripe fabrics. Using 1/2” seam allowance, sew right sides together and sew around all sides, leaving a 4” opening along top edge.
- 2. Use pencil to mark 1-1/2” in from each edge at all four corners for two marks at each corner. Open up corners and place seams together, matching edge markings. Straight stitch between marks for a pleated corner. Repeat for three remaining corners. Turn case right side out and insert foam. Hand sew opening closed.