Glitzy Lovebird Purse
- Unfinished wooden box with hinged lid and clasp, 7-1/2”x4-1/4”x4”
- Wooden doll head knobs, 3/4”, four
- Brass items: handle clamps, 1-1/4”, two; D-rings, 5/8”, two
- Patterned paper: magenta; purple
- Rhinestones: turquoise and green oval mixed, seven; copper round, 38; pink round
- Lime satin ribbon, 1-1/4”, 20” length
- Simply Stamps foam stamps (Plaid): Garden Leaf; Double-Sided Classic Alphabet
- Prickley Pear Flourished bird stamp (AddictedToRubberStamps.com)
- FolkArt Acrylic Paint (Plaid): Yellow Ochre; Apple Orchard; Cayman Blue
- Gold leaf liquid adhesive
- Copper leaf, 5-1/2”x5-1/2”
- Mod Podge Gloss-Lustré (Plaid)
- Goop adhesive
- Fine-grit sandpaper
newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Sand the edges and surfaces of the wooden box until smooth to the touch. Wipe clean. Squeeze a nickel-size dollop of Yellow Ochre onto the paper plate. Thin the paint with approximately two tablespoons of water to create a wash. Apply the Yellow Ochre wash to the outside surfaces of the wooden purse with the foam paintbrush. Let dry.
- Dab the Apple Orchard paint onto the leaf stamp using the foam paintbrush. Stamp the leaf image onto the purple paper and let dry. Cut out the leaf image leaving a 1/8” paper border around the green leaves.
- Dab the Cayman Blue paint onto the bird stamp using the foam paintbrush. Be careful not to get paint into the grooves. Stamp the bird image onto the magenta paper and let dry. Cut out the bird image leaving a 1/8” paper border around the bird.
- To create the copper leafed letters that spell “LOVE”, dab the gold leaf adhesive onto each letter stamp, then stamp onto the magenta paper. Let dry for 15 minutes. Apply the sheet of copper leaf onto the stamped letters, then brush away the excess leaf with a dry craft paintbrush. Cut out each letter leaving no borders.
- To copper leaf the purse feet, set each doll head knob flat side down and use the foam paintbrush to paint the rounded surface with the gold leaf adhesive. Let dry for 15 minutes. Apply the copper leaf to the knobs, then brush away the excess leaf with a dry craft paintbrush.
- Before you decorate the front of the purse, be sure to orient the box so the clasp will wind up on top and the hinges on the bottom. Paint the front of the box with a layer of Mod Podge. While the Mod Podge still wet, press the leaf cutout onto the box. Apply a layer of Mod Podge onto the top of the cutout and smooth down with your finger. Use the same technique to apply the “LOVE” letters onto the front of the box. Then apply the cutout bird image and let dry.
- Using the Goop adhesive, glue the four copper-leafed knob feet to the bottom four corners of the box. Let dry.
- Coat the entire outside surface of the box including the knob feet with a layer of Mod Podge. When dry, apply a second coat.
- When the box is dry, glue the oval rhinestones onto the center of each leaf using the Goop adhesive. Glue the copper rhinestones onto to “LOVE” letters. Then glue the pink rhinestone onto the bird’s face to give him a sparkly eye.
- To create a handle for the box, slide the D-rings onto the handle clamps, then screw the clamps onto the top of the purse. Be sure to center the clamps front to back. Tie the ends of the lime satin ribbon to the D-rings and trim the ends.
- 1. Make this a personalized gift by stamping the recipient’s name instead of the word “LOVE”.
- 1. For a fancy finishing touch, line the inside of the purse with adhesive felt. Simply cut pieces to fit, peel off the backing, and press into place.