- White paper plates, two each: 6”, 8-3/4”
- Wooden circles, 1”, two
- Wiggle eyes, two
- Fishing line or clear thread
- Hole punch, 1/16”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Cadmium Yellow, Blush Flesh, Pumpkin, Snow White
- Beacon Adhesives Kid’s Choice! Glue
pencil, scissors, ruler, black marker, paintbrush, stencil brush, paper plate (for palette), paper towels, newspaper (to cover work surface), sponge scraps
- For rays, cut rims from 8-3/4” plates, 1-1/4” from edges. Adhere rims together; let dry. See photo. Cut “v’s” around outside edge to form sun rays.
- For face, adhere edges of 6” plates together so bottoms are facing out.
- On covered work surface, paint face and rays Cadmium Yellow. Paint wooden circles (cheeks) Blush Flesh. Let dry.
- Adhere eyes and cheeks on face. Let dry.
- Print out pattern. Use marker to draw smile on face.
- Use paintbrush handle and Snow White to dot cheeks and highlight smile. Drybrush edges of face and inside edges of rays Pumpkin. (Note: To drybrush, dip stencil brush into paint, stroke on paper towel until almost dry, and brush surface in circular motion.)
- Punch hole at top and bottom of face. Position face inside rays and punch holes along inside edge of sun rays in line with face holes.
- For hanger, punch hole in top outside edge of sun ray. Cut two 3” lengths from fishing line. Thread ends of each length from front to back through each face hole and inside ray holes. Knot and trim ends. Spot glue knot. Let dry. Cut 12” length from fishing line; insert through top sun ray hole and knot ends together. Spot glue knot and trim ends. Let dry
- 1. If working with younger children, have kids use sponge scraps to sponge paint sun’s face and rays.