Dyed Tag Place Markers
- Manila shipping tag, 4-3/4”x2-3/8”
- White cotton fabric
- Beige fabric, scrap
- Prima Marketing Dynasty Ivory Flower Center
- Adhesive-back rhinestone rows
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Caged Bird Bigz Die
- Sewing machine and brown thread
- Rit Liquid Dye: Dark Cocoa, Lemon Yellow, Teal, Purple
- Tiny alphabet stamps and black pigment ink
- Paper trimmer with scoring blade, rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Zip Dry Paper Glue, The Warm Co. Lite Steam-A-Seam
measuring cup, measuring spoons, plastic disposable spoon, plastic containers, rubber gloves, plastic tablecloth or newspaper (to cover work surface), paper towels, iron and pressing surface, ruler
- On covered work surface, cut 6” fabric square from white fabric. Measure 1/8 tsp. Purple dye and mix with 1 cup very hot water (at 140ºF) in plastic container. Stir well. Place fabric square in dye bath and remove. Rinse under cool water; squeeze out excess dye and water. Let dry on paper towels. Repeat process to create light green fabric, mixing 1/4 tsp. Teal dye and 1 tsp. Lemon Yellow dye with 1 cup hot water. For tags, use 2 Tbsp. Dark Cocoa dye and 1 cup hot water. Remove fabric and tags from dye baths and let dry on paper towels.
- When fabric is dry, press with steam iron setting. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse beige and dyed fabrics to fusible webbing.
- Die cut bird and wing, with paper side up, from purple or light green fabrics. Cut 1-1/2” beige fabric square. Peel away paper backing and fuse to tag using iron.
- Machine-sew freeform outline on bird, wing, and beige square 1/4” from edges. Machine-sew outline around tag edges.
- Use alphabet stamps and pigment ink to stamp guest name on beige square. Let dry. Heat set using iron on medium setting.
- Tear 1/2”x5” strip from dyed fabric. Thread strip into punched hole on tag; tie ends into knot. Press rhinestone rows on bottom of tag. Adhere flower center on tag using paper glue.
- Use paper trimmer to cut 1”x4” strip from cardstock scrap. Score strip three times, every 1”, along length. Fold on lines to create open box shape. Adhere onto back of tag for stand.
- 1. While dyed fabric squares are drying, stamp guest names on beige fabric scraps.