Go America! Pins
- Diamond Tech Opalescent Fusible Glass: Red (FW806), Blue (FW804), White (FW801)
- Diamond Tech Fuseworks Fusible Rounds: Ebony and Ivory (FW875), Variety Color (FW877); Multi Color Stringer (FW835)
- Silver “USA” charm, 1/2”
- Metal pin backs, two
- Diamond Tech Fuseworks: Microwave Kiln, Kiln Paper, Glass Cutter, Hot Mitts, Lightweight Running Pliers
- Microwave oven
- Safety glasses
- Adhesives: Eclectic Products E-6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive, white tacky glue
ruler, scissors, black marker, plastic bowl, mixing spoon, toothpick
- 1. Cut 2”x2” piece of kiln paper. Remove lid from Microwave Kiln. Place kiln paper on kiln base and place Ivory 1” glass round (base) on kiln paper.
- 2. Cut 2”x2” piece of kiln paper. Remove lid from Microwave Kiln. Place kiln paper on kiln base and place Ivory 1” glass round (base) on kiln paper.
- 3. Cut 2”x2” piece of kiln paper. Remove lid from Microwave Kiln. Place kiln paper on kiln base and place Ivory 1” glass round (base) on kiln paper.
- 4. Use glass cutter to nip or break Black glass stringer into one 7/8”-long and two 1/2”-long segments. Mix solution of 1 part white glue to 3 parts water in bowl. Apply tiny amount of glue to back of stringer segments using toothpick; position stringers on top layer of glass using pattern for positioning. Let dry for 30 minutes before firing.
- 5. If using 1200-watt microwave, fuse at 100% power for two minutes. If using microwave with lower wattage, increase time to two minutes and 30 seconds. (Note: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.)
- 6. When time has expired, open microwave and using Hot Mitts, carefully lift lid to inspect fusing process. Glass should have nicely round edges. If needed, add additional time in 15-second increments until desired results are achieved.
- 7. Remove kiln from microwave using Hot Mitts and place on heat-resistant surface. Cool kiln for at least 30 to 40 minutes with lid on. (Note: Removing lid or peeking under lid during cooling will result in glass cracking. Glass remains hot for long time; handle with great caution.)
- 8. Once cooled, remove glass peace sign from kiln. Apply small amount of E6000 to back of pin back; press onto back of glass peace sign. Let adhesive set.
- 1. Cut 2”x2” piece of kiln paper. Remove lid from Microwave Kiln. Place kiln paper on kiln base.
- 2. Using glass cutter, score and separate 3/4”x1” of White sheet glass (base). Place cut glass on kiln paper.
- 3. Cut one 1/4”x1” strip each from Red and Blue sheet glass. Cut two 1/4”x1” strips from White sheet glass.
- 4. Place cut pieces on base using pattern as guide for color placement.
- 5. Follow Steps 5-7 on peace sign to fuse and complete design.
- 6. Once cooled, remove striped glass piece from kiln. Use pliers to cut loop from USA charm. Apply small amount of E-6000 to charm; press on center of striped glass piece. Let set. Apply small amount of E-6000 to back of pin back; press onto back of striped glass piece. Let adhesive set.
- 1. Substitute earring posts or clips for pin back to make a cute pair of earrings!