- Paper, 12” squares, one each: white, pattern print; black, two
- Gold brads, four
- Lightweight cardboard
- Cording, 28” lengths: black, white, gold
- Digital camera
- Computer, printer, and white copy paper
- Hole punches: 1/8”, 1/4”
- Beacon Adhesives Paper-Tac Glue
scissors, ruler, tape, pencil
- Have kid stand sideways in front of white or light-colored wall. Have kid remove glasses (if applicable) and stand with serious (non-smiling) expression. Use digital camera to take profile photo of kid’s head from shoulder area up.
- To make silhouette pattern, size profile photo to 8”x10” and print on white copy paper. Cut around image leaving 1/2” border. Trace image onto black paper. Cut out image, trimming straight line on bottom of profile.
- Measure and cut 10”x10” from pattern print paper. Adhere silhouette centered on square, lining up bottom edges.
- Measure and cut 10-1/2”x10-1/2” from black paper. Adhere pattern square on black square.
- Punch 1/8” holes on corners of pattern square. Attach gold brads into holes.
- Adhere black square on 12”x12” white paper. Measure and cut 12”x12” from cardboard. Adhere white square on cardboard. Punch 1/4” holes in top corners of cardboard square.
- For hanger, knot cording lengths together on one end. Braid cords together. Insert hanger ends through holes and knot on back of cardboard. Spot glue ends.
- 1. To save on printer ink and speed up process, print photos in “fast draft” mode. To do this, click on print, go to print properties, and click on print quality. Change quality from normal to fast draft.