“I Love Camp” Frame
- Canvas frame, 5-1/2”x7-1/4”
- Polyform Sculpey Pluffy Clays: Lime Green, Green, Blue, Yellow, Black, Red, Orange, Pink
- Tiny wiggle eyes, nine
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Blue Chiffon, Baby Blue, Snow White, Citron Green; Calypso Blue Writers; Glamour Dust Ice Crystal Glitter Paint
- Clay roller, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Aleene’s Thick Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, pencil, toothpicks, fine-tip black marker, paper plate (for paint palette), old credit card, plastic place mat (for work surface), newspaper (to cover work surface), sponge scrap, craft brush
- 1. Work on plastic place mat when using clay and work surface covered with newspaper when using paint. After completing each clay shape, place on parchment-lined baking sheet unless otherwise noted.
- 1. Condition clay separately until soft and pliable. For sun, roll 1/2” Yellow clay ball; flatten. Roll two tiny Black clay balls; press on face for eyes. Roll skinny Red clay rope (mouth) and two small Pink clay balls (cheeks); press on face. Roll Orange clay to 1/8” thickness; use old credit card to cut out 10 small triangles (for rays). Position rays on parchment-lined baking sheet in circle; press sun’s face on center of rays.
- 2. For ladybug, roll 1/4” Red clay circle (body); form into oval and flatten. Cut off one end. Use toothpick to make indentation down center. Roll small Black clay ball (head); cut in half and flatten. Press head on end of body. Roll five tiny Black balls; press on body.
- 3. For frog, roll 1/2” Green clay ball; form into oval and slightly flatten. Use toothpick to make curved mouth at one end. Roll four Green clay teardrops (legs); flatten larger end. Pinch point on each flattened end for webbed feet. Press two legs under body and two on front of body. Roll five tiny Lime Green clay balls; press two on head above mouth (for eyes) and three on body (for warts). Flatten slightly. Roll very tiny Black clay balls (eyes); press on top of Lime Green eyes.
- 4. For caterpillar, roll three 1/4” Green and three 1/4” Lime Green clay balls. Press balls together, alternating colors. Use toothpick to draw mouth on one end. Roll two tiny Black clay balls (eyes); flatten and press above mouth. Roll thin Orange clay rope; bend in half and press above eyes for antennae.
- 5. For bird, roll 1/4” Blue clay ball; flatten. Use old credit card to cut out diamond shape (body) and small triangle (tail). Press tail onto one point on body; use toothpick to mark feather lines. Cut two small triangles (wings); mark feather lines on wings. Press one wing behind body and other on front of body. Roll tiny Orange clay teardrop (beak); press beak on front of body.
- 6. For heart, roll 1/2” Red clay ball; flatten. Use toothpick to draw heart shape on clay; remove excess. Smooth edges of heart.
- 7. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay pieces in oven on parchment-lined baking sheet at 275ºF for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from oven.
- 8. On covered work surface, use sponge scrap to paint frame Blue Chiffon. Let dry. Sponge paint frame Baby Blue. Let dry. Lightly sponge paint frame Snow White. Let dry. Use paintbrush to paint small teardrop-shaped leaves randomly on bottom and sides of frame Citron Green. Let dry. Sponge paint Ice Crystal glitter paint all over frame. Let dry.
- 9. Use black marker to draw vein lines and outline leaves. Use pencil to lightly write “I (with space) CAMP” on top of frame. Trace over words using Calypso Blue Writer. Let dry completely.
- 10. Adhere clay pieces on frame as shown in photo. Let dry. Use toothpick dotted with glue to adhere wiggle eyes on each character. (Note: Adhere only one eye on bird.) Let dry.
- 1. Substitute a papier-mâché or wooden frame if a canvas frame is unavailable.