Monkey & Cupcake Bibs
- White 200-count muslin, 1/4 yd.
- Cotton print fabrics: pink, 1/8 yd.; green, 1/8 yd.; beige, 1/4 yd.
- Piping: lime green, bright pink
- The Warm Co. Warm & White Needled Cotton Batting
- Brown embroidery floss
- White sewing thread
- Buttons: magenta, 9/16”; black, 1/4”, two
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Adhesives: iron-on adhesive; hook-and-loop circle fasteners, 3/4”
scissors, iron and pressing surface, copy paper, pencil, transfer paper
- 1. Print out patterns onto copy paper. Trace and cut out bib from white fabric, beige fabric, and batting.
- 1. Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than top and bottom of cupcake pattern. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse adhesive to wrong side of pink and beige fabrics. Cut top of cupcake pieces from pink fused-fabric and bottom of cupcake from beige fused-fabric, cutting bottom of cupcake along dashed lines.
- 2. Fuse cupcake to bib center, leaving space underneath for lettering.
- 3. Transfer lettering onto bib using transfer paper. Use two strands of brown embroidery floss to blanket stitch around cupcake edges. Use one strand of brown embroidery floss to stem stitch lettering. Attach magenta button to cupcake top using white thread. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 4. Baste batting to back of bib front. Sew pink piping around bib front, 1/4” from edge, beginning at top of one neck piece, clipping seam around neck pieces as you sew.
- 5. Sew bib front to back along piping stitching, with right sides facing, leaving 3” opening along one side for turning. Clip seam around neck. Turn right side out; hand-sew opening closed. Sew hook-and-loop fastener to top of neck pieces (one to front side and other to back side).
- 1. Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than monkey muzzle and head pattern. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse adhesive to wrong side of green and beige fabrics. Cut head from green fused-fabric and muzzle from beige fused-fabric.
- 2. Fuse monkey to bib center, leaving space underneath for lettering.
- 3. Transfer muzzle lines and lettering using transfer paper. Use two strands of brown embroidery floss to blanket stitch around outside edges of monkey. Use one strand of brown embroidery floss to stem stitch muzzle lines and lettering. Attach black buttons onto face (for eyes) using white thread.
- 4. Baste batting to back of bib front. Sew green piping around bib front in same way as Cupcake Bib.
- 5. Repeat Step 5 for Cupcake Bib to finish.
- 1. Omit buttons from bib designs and use fabric scraps if for small infant.