Bunny Fairies Quilt & Pillow
- Cotton print fabric: pink floral, two 14”x14”, two 15”x15”; pink plaid, 10-1/2”x14”; green white/polka dot, 1 yd.; white/pink criss-cross, 1/2 yd.; coordinating squares, 5”x5”, 16; pink/white gingham, scraps
- Chenille fabric: white, two 9”x14”, two 5”x5”; green, 7”x9”, two 4”x4”
- Wool felt, 1/4 yd. each: white, pink, green
- Backing fabric of choice, 1-5/8 yds.
- Quilt batting, 45”-wide, 1-1/3 yds.
- Pillow form, 14”x14”
- Embroidery floss: white, green, pink
- Buttons: pink, 1/4”, four; white, 1/2”, two
- White jumbo rick rack: 7” lengths, two; 8” lengths, three
- Lime green medium rick rack, 7-1/4” lengths, two
- Pink small rick rack, 3” lengths, three
- Flower trims: sheer pink organza, 1-1/2”, three; white/pink, 7/8”, 15
- Pink ribbon, four each: bows, 1/8”; rosebuds
- Pink pom-poms, 1/2”, two
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Rotary cutter, cutting mat, transparent grid-lined ruler
- Embroidery needle
- Adhesives: fabric glue, fusible webbing
scissors, pencil, ruler or measuring tape, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, disappearing ink marker
- 1. Cut two 14”x14” squares from pink floral fabric for background blocks.
- 2. Print out patterns. Trace patterns onto paper side on fusible webbing. (Note: Trace dress, head, and arm patterns in reverse for bottom block.) Cut out patterns, leaving approximately 1/4” around each shape. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to iron patterns onto wrong side of fabrics. Cut out patterns on traced lines.
- 3. Remove paper backing from patterns. Referring to photo, fuse patterns onto background blocks. (Note: As noted on pattern, stitch pink rick rack length for wand before fusing top arm piece.)
- 4. Blanket stitch around pattern pieces using contrasting color of embroidery floss. For each bunny, attach pink buttons on center of face (for noses), and backstitch line under noses. Use two strands of green embroidery floss to French Knot eyes.
- 5. Machine-sew 8”-long white rick rack along bottom of each bunny dress. Use running stitch and pink embroidery floss to add decorative stitch down center of white rick rack. Sew three pink/white flower trims along rick rack. Sew pink organza flower onto top of rick rack wand. Sew pink ribbon bow and rosebud on base of wings on top edge of dress. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 6. For patchwork blocks, cut sixteen 5”x5” squares from assorted print fabrics. (Note: Designer used same combination of eight prints for three blocks.) Cut two 5”x5” squares from white chenille fabric (for center squares on blocks). Blanket stitch small flower onto center of each white chenille square. Hand-sew pink pom-pom onto center of each flower. Position both sets of nine patchwork squares on work surface with white chenille square/flower on centers. Using 1/4” seam allowance, sew squares together, creating two nine-patch blocks.
- 7. For dragonfly rectangle, cut 10-1/2”x14” rectangle from pink plaid fabric and 7”x9” rectangle from green chenille fabric. Blanket stitch green chenille rectangle on pink plaid rectangle as shown. Machine-sew 7”-long white rick rack lengths along top and bottom of green chenille rectangle. Add pink running stitch on center of rick rack if desired. Hand-sew six white/pink flower trims onto rick rack. Blanket stitch dragonfly onto center of block. Backstitch antennae and French Knot eyes. Attach pink button nose. Hand-sew pink bow and rosebud onto neck. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 8. For flower blocks, cut two 9”x14” rectangles from white chenille fabric. Machine-sew lime green rick rack (stem) on center of each block. Blanket stitch large flower, flower center, and two leaves onto center area above stem on each block. Use green embroidery floss and running stitch to add vein lines on leaves. Hand-sew white buttons onto flower centers.
- 9. Using 1/4” seam allowance, piece quilt top with bunny fairy and patchwork block for first row, flower blocks with dragonfly block in center for second row, and remaining patchwork block and bunny fairy block for third row.
- 10. For border, cut four 3”-wide white/pink criss-cross fabric strips along width of fabric. Machine-sew side borders first. Press and trim. Sew borders to top and bottom of quilt top. Press and trim.
- 11. Cut backing fabric and batting several inches larger than finished size of quilt top. Position batting in between top and bottom layers of quilt with wrong sides of quilt top and backing facing. Smooth out wrinkles and pin together.
- 12. Stitch-in-the-ditch or quilt as desired. Press. Trim batting and backing fabric even with edges of quilt top.
- 13. For binding, cut five 2-1/2”-wide green/white polka dot fabric strips along width of fabric. Sew binding strips, with right sides together, with diagonal seams into one continuous strip. Trim seams to 1/4”; press open. Press in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Sew 1/4” from edge through all layers with raw edges of binding and quilt top even. Miter corners. Trim excess. Bring folded edge of binding strip to back of quilt; hand-sew binding in place.
- 1. Cut two 15”x15” squares from pink floral print fabric.
- 2. Refer to instructions on quilt to fuse and sew bunny appliqué pieces onto one 15” square. (Note: Remaining 15” square is pillow backing.) Sew button nose, facial details, and trims onto bunny in same way as on quilt.
- 3. Pin pillow pieces with right sides together. Sew around edges of pillow using 1/2” seam allowance. (Note: Be sure to leave opening large enough at bottom for turning and inserting pillow form.)
- 4. Trim corners. Turn pillow right side out and press. Insert 14” pillow form. Hand-sew opening closed.
- 1. For a whimsical touch, make a tooth fairy quilt by adding a miniature pocket onto one of the bunny fairy’s dresses. Or use the pocket to leave a special note from the fairies.