- DecoArt Americana Acrylics:
Bittersweet Chocolate, Boysenberry
Pink, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk,
Cherry Red, Forest Green, Hauser
Dark Green, Hauser Light Green,
Hauser Medium Green, Mustard Seed, Raw Sienna, Sapphire, Tomato Red, Warm White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Majestic: Angular, Series R4160,
1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Round, Series R4250, #4, #6; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- White tube sock
- Wooden file box wuth lid 8”x11-1/4”x4” (without lid)
- 1. Base sides of box with two coats Cherry Red; set aside. Base lid and lid sides with two coats Buttermilk, sanding lightly between coats. Wrap a piece of fairly dampened white tube sock around two index fingers; dab into Burnt Umber and rub over entire lid, then randomly “scuff” surface with same cloth to achieve a mottled background keeping antiqued look light.
- 2. Mask off 1/8” border around top edge
of lid and along top side edges of lid;
run finger along tape edges for tight
seal. Paint borders Sapphire. Remove tape. Use 1/2” angular to shade Burnt
Umber along inner and outer edges of
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic cottage details onto lid top and leaf design on lid sides. Paint leaf design Warm White; shade Burnt Umber under each leaf.
- 1. Base top and side of house Cherry Red and house front Hauser Lt. Green. Base roof and chimneys Raw Sienna. Wash windowpanes Buttermilk. Base red areas of whimsical trees Cherry Red and white
areas Warm White. Base “candy cane” areas Warm White.
Red Sections of House
- 1. Base rounded window frames Hauser Dk. Green and square window frames Hauser Med. Green; shade outer edges of square window frames Hauser Dk. Green. Shade Mustard Seed along left side of windowpanes; deepen with Burnt Umber. Add Forest Green detailing above each window and outline outer edges of right side of house.
- 2. Base holly leaves Hauser Lt. Green; shade Forest Green. Add Hauser Dk. Green detailing and shade behind leaves along bottom edges. Base window box Sapphire; add Hauser Dk. Green stripes and shade behind box along left side and bottom. Paint three Warm White flowers and two Boysenberry Pink flowers. Add Cherry Red swirl details to white flowers and Warm White swirls to pink flowers. Add Hauser Dk. Green vines here and there between flowers. (Note: Be sure to add flower, holly leaf, and vine to window at right side of house.)
- 3. Use Tomato Red to shade all edges and around detailing of red house sections; add vertical stripes.
Whimsical Trees and Candy Cane Poles
- 1. Add Cherry Red stripes to all candy
canes including tree trunks. Add
Forest Green stripes to pole on right
side of house only. Shade Cherry Red on trees along left side of red sections and on red sections behind house. Add Warm White swirl detail to bottom red section of trees. Use handle end of brush to dot tree tops Cherry Red.
Green Section of House
- 1. Shade Mustard Seed along left side of windowpanes; deepen with Burnt Umber. Use Cherry Red to base shutters, widow frame, and detailing above window; shade shutters Tomato Red and add horizontal louvers.
- 2. Base window box Sapphire; add Hauser Dk. Green stripes and shade behind box along right side and bottom. Paint holly leaves in same manner as Red Sections of House. Base gingerbread men Raw Sienna; shade edges Burnt Umber. Add
Bittersweet Chocolate eyes and buttons and Warm White frosting lines. Paint flowers in same manner as Red Sections of House, painting only two in each color. Add Warm White snow along top of flower box.
- 3. Base sign Raw Sienna; shade edges Burnt Umber and add and curled detailing. Paint gingerbread man in same manner as those in window box; paint spoon Sapphire. Use Warm White to paint wording and to add snow mound. Paint detailing along bottom of sign Cherry Red. Base bunnies Warm White; very very lightly shade Burnt Umber. Use Bittersweet Chocolate to dot eyes and noses; add whiskers.
- 4. Use Forest Green to shade all edges and around detailing of green house section; add swirl detailing. Add Sapphire wrought iron sign hanger on left side of house. Base sign Cherry Red and frame Hauser Med. Green. Paint wording Warm White. Paint hanger
Roof and Chimneys
- 1. Use Burnt Umber to shade chimneys and to paint detailing on roof; repeat to strengthen color on roof. Add Bittersweet Chocolate vertical stripes on chimneys. Add Hauser Lt. Green wrought iron swirls above green section of house to either side.
- 1. Line trunks and branches Bittersweet Chocolate twisting brush as you work.
Snow, Stars, and Chimney Smoke
- 1. Use Warm White to add stars in sky and chimney smoke; shade Burnt Umber. Use Warm White to “blob” on snow along roof and chimney tops and on ground; add random snow mounds on barren trees. Allow to dry several hours. Use appropriate angular brush and Burnt Umber to lightly shade behind all edges of house, whimsical trees, “Open”
sign, around ground snow, candy cane post on right.
- 2. Shade Burnt Umber under roof top snow on red sections of house. Shade Hauser Med. Green under roof top snow on green section of house; deepen with Hauser
- 1. Pencil in a candy cane on snow; add Cherry Red stripes. Base peppermint candies Cherry Red; add Warm White
swirls. Very lightly shade Burnt Umber under each candy.
- 2. Apply two to three varnish coats.