Domino Santa Necklace
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Crimson Tide, DeLane’s Dark Flesh,
Driftwood, Flesh Tone, French
Mauve, Light Buttermilk, Raw
Sienna, Sapphire, Snow (Titanium)
White, Soft Black, Tangerine
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Micron: Pointed Flat, #2/0; Detail, #10/0; X-Long Detail, #15/0; Shader Flat, #6/0, #2/0; Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4; Angular, 1/4”; Decorator Collection: Dry Brush, Series 200, #6
- Dove Specialty: Oval Feather Edge,
Series 911, 1/4”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Brush ‘n Blend Extender
- Krylon Glass Frosting Spray
- Jewelry Kit available through Diana
- 1. Lay three dominoes touching together
vertically so spots are facing up; use
transparent tape to tape together. Gently turn over. Lightly spray blank sides of dominoes with one coat Glass Frosting.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic outline only.
- 1. Use #4 flat shader to basecoat each item. Undercoat hat French Mauve; base Crimson Tide for opaque coverage. Use mix of Flesh Tone + DeLane’s Dk. Flesh (2:1) to slip-slap face area making center a bit lighter. Base beard and mustache Driftwood.
- 1. Use angular and DeLane’s Dk. Flesh to
shade around edges of face and above
mustache; repeat with Raw Sienna.
- 1. Use angular and Tangerine to highlight
upper left and right corners of hat.
- 1. Transfer features; place pattern so eyebrows are on top domino, eyes on second domino, and mouth is at the very top of third domino. Use 2/0 shader flat to base eyes Flesh Tone, iris Sapphire, and pupils Soft Black. Use 15/0 x-long detail brush and Soft Black to outline entire eye and iris edges. Add two tiny Snow White highlight dots in flesh tone areas under corners of eyes; highlight dot pupils.
- 2. Use angular to shade DeLane’s Dk. Flesh above and below eyebrow area; repeat with Raw Sienna. Highlight Lt. Buttermilk under eye area.
- 3. Use 2/0 pointed flat to base mouth Soft Black; base lip with mix of Lt. Buttermilk + Crimson Tide (3:1). Use 15/0 x-long detail brush to add three tiny Lt. Buttermilk highlight dots on left side of bottom lip.
- 4. Use angular to shade DeLane’s Dk. Flesh on face along each side of nose; repeat with Raw Sienna. Highlight Flesh Tone
on bridge of nose at left side; if needed, use mix of Flesh Tone + tch. of Snow White to highlight again.
- 5. Use 6/0 and 2/0 shader flats, and mix of Lt. Buttermilk + tch. of Flesh Tone to lightly slip-slap down center of nose
and above each nostril. Use 2/0 pointed flat to paint nostrils Soft Black.
- 6. Use dry brush and Crimson Tide to dry brush rosy glow in lower cheek areas using circular motion.
- 7. Use 15/0 x-long detail brush to paint eyebrows, mustache, and beard. Use mix of Lt. Buttermilk + Driftwood (1:1) to
stroke a few eyebrow hairs; add Snow White. Use same mix to stroke in mustache then add Snow White; stroke
hairs beneath nose straight down touching mouth then stroke sides of mustache up into face area (half moon
shape). Using same colors as mustache, stroke hairs straight beneath mouth.
- 8. For beard, soak feather edge brush in water; blot excess and then gently push brush down onto palette to ferrel and move back and forth from left to right spreading bristles open, separating bristles. Load brush with inky consistency mix of Lt. Buttermilk + Driftwood (1:1). Press ferrel down onto palette splaying bristles open. Using just tips of brush, paint left side of beard area turning ends slightly to center of beard creating a bit of movement; repeat same for right side. Repeat this stroke until you are satisfied with look. Repeat again with Snow White. Use 15/0 x-long detail brush and Snow White to add a few hair wisps in beard area, around face as if hair is coming from beneath hat, in center of forehead, and in mustache.
- 1. Allow paint to cure 24 hours. Lightly sand with brown paper grocery bag. Wipe with damp soft cloth. Let dry. Apply two to three varnish coats.
- 2. Follow kit instructions for necklace beading.