"Twas the Night Before Christmas" Toothpick Box
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylics: Admiral Blue, Country Red, Dark Chocolate, Deep Midnight Blue, Evergreen, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Holly Green, Honey Brown,
Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Buttermilk, Milk Chocolate, Moon Yellow, Mustard Seed, Napa Red, Payne’s Grey, Sapphire, Snow (Titanium) White, True Red, Tuscan Red, Yellow Ochre; Dazzling Metallics: Emperor’s Gold,
Renaissance Brown, Shimmering
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel:
Golden Taklon: Angular, Series
R160, 1/8”, 1/4”; Shader, Series R150, #2, #4, #6; Pointed Round, Series R250, #1, #3; Monogram Liner, Series R595, #10/0;
Specialty: Fitch Deerfoot, Series
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Acrylic Gesso; Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Toothpick box with gingerbread
man handle from Craine’s Cutouts
- Black Micron Pen, .01
- Sakura Gelly Roll Metallic Pen,
1.0 mm, Gold
- 1. Seal box, lid, and handle. Sand lightly;
wipe dust. Use Deep Midnight Blue to base inside of box and underside of lid. Use painter’s tape to tape off 3/8”
border at base of box. Base border and box bottom Tuscan Red. Remove tape. Use Hauser Dk. Green to base remainder of outside of box and top of lid. Base gingerbread handle Honey Brown.
- 2. Print out patterns; lightly transfer basic details onto box.
- 1. Use #4 shader and Gesso to paint white stripes; repeat two to three times. Use Hauser Dk. Green to paint pinstripes on red sections. Use 1/4” angular to shade Payne’s Grey. Use #3 pointed round to dry brush Snow White highlight down center.
Lighted Pine Boughs
- 1. Use liner and Milk Chocolate to paint
center of branches. Use brush mix of Hauser Med. Green and Hauser Lt. Green to paint needles. Use #1 pointed round to paint lights in Mustard Seed, Sapphire, and True Red. Use 1/8” angular to highlight Snow White. Use liner and Lamp Black to paint light caps.
- 1. Use #6 shader and Holly Green to base green gift; use 1/4” angular to shade Hauser Dk. Green and use mix of Holly Green + tch. of Snow White to highlight along top, front edge.
- 2. Use #6 shader and mix of Country Red + Snow White (1:1) to undercoat red gift. Base Country Red; use 1/4” angular to shade Tuscan Red and use mix of Country Red + tch. of Snow White to highlight.
- 3. Use #2 shader and Gesso to undercoat ribbon and bows. Base red ribbon and bow Country Red; use 1/8” angular to shade Napa Red and use mix of Country Red + tch. of Snow White to highlight.
Base blue ribbon and bow Admiral Blue; use 1/8” angular to shade with sheer Payne’s Grey and use mix of Sapphire + tch. of Snow White to highlight.
Cookie Basket, Milk Glass, and Cookie Plate
- 1. For basket of cookies, use #4 shader to base basket Honey Brown; use 1/4” angular to shade Milk Chocolate. Use #1 pointed round and mix of Moon Yellow + tch. of Honey Brown to paint weave detail. Use brush mix of Milk Chocolate and Honey Brown to paint basket handle; use dirty brush and touch of Yellow Ochre to highlight top center of handle. Use #4 shader to base napkin Sapphire; use 1/4” angular to shade Admiral Blue. Use liner and slightly thinned mix of Sapphire + Snow White (1:1) to paint fringe and plaid line work; highlight with thinned Snow White. Use #3 pointed round to paint gingerbread cookies Honey Brown; use 1/8” angular to shade Milk Chocolate along edges. Use liner and slightly thinned Snow White to paint frosting outline, eyes, and mouth. Use Lamp Black to dot tiny pupils and True Red to dot buttons.
- 2. Use Snow White and liner to outline milk glass; use #4 shader to paint milk. Wash transparent part of glass with Snow White. Use 1/4” shader and ultra sheer Payne’s Grey to shade glass and milk; use #2 shader and Snow White to dry brush highlight down center.
- 3. Use #3 pointed round and Sapphire to base plate rim; use dirty brush and touch of Snow White to dry brush highlight. Use Honey Brown to base round cookies; use 1/8” angular and Milk Chocolate to shade bottom of cookies. Use liner to paint frosting
Snow White. Use True Red and Evergreen to paint tiny sprinkles.
Star Tree-Topper and Box of Ornaments
- 1. Use #4 shader undercoat star Mustard
Seed; base Emperor’s Gold and use 1/4” angular to shade Renaissance Brown along edges. Use micron pen to add detailing. Use liner and Honey Brown to paint spring; use Emperor’s Gold to highlight front sections.
- 2. Use #4 shader to base box Honey Brown; use 1/4” angular to shade Dk. Chocolate. Use #1 pointed round and Holly Green to paint stripes on box. Use Gesso to undercoat ornaments and caps. Base ornaments Shimmering Silver. Use liner to paint caps and hooks Emperor’s
Gold. Use Holly Green, Country
Red, and Sapphire to paint stripes
on ornaments. Use 1/8” angular and
ultra sheer Payne’s Grey to shade
Bear, Book, and Candle
- 1. Use deerfoot to stipple Milk Chocolate on bear’s head, ears, hands, and feet; use dirty brush and Dk. Chocolate to stipple shading. Wipe brush clean; load toe with Honey Brown to stipple highlights. Use #3 pointed round and mix of Dk. Chocolate + tch. of Lamp Black to paint foot pads. Use liner and Lamp Black to paint eyes, eyebrows, and
nose. Add Snow White highlight dots to eyes; dry brush highlight on nose.
- 2. Use deerfoot to stipple hat Tuscan Red; use mix of Country Red + tch. of Snow White to stipple highlight. Use Lt. Buttermilk to stipple fur trim and pom-pom; stipple Snow White highlight.
- 3. Use #6 shader to base book cover Deep Midnight Blue; use 1/4” angular to shade Payne’s Grey, and use #4 shader and mix of Admiral Blue + tch. of Snow White to dry brush highlights. Line strips on spine True Red. Use Honey Brown to base pages; line with Snow White highlights. Use micron pen to add lettering.
- 4. Use #3 round to undercoat candle holder Mustard Seed; base Emperor’s Gold and use 1/8” angular to shade Renaissance Brown. Use #3 round and Gesso to undercoat candle; base Country Red and use 1/8” angular to shade Napa Red. Line wick Milk Chocolate. Use #1 pointed round to base flame Mustard Seed; use 1/8” angular to shade Country Red along bottom. Use liner and mix of Country Red + tch. of Mustard Seed to paint drips on candle. For candle glow, use deerfoot to dry brush a touch of
Mustard Seed; line thinned Mustard Seed glow lines.
- 1. Use #4 shader and two to three thin coats of Snow White to undercoat moon, leaving some dark spots here and there. Use slightly thinned Mustard Seed to base moon.
- 2. Use #1 liner and sheer Payne’s Grey to paint Santa and his sleigh of reindeer silhouette on moon.
- 3. Use gold pen to add lettering along edges. (Optional: Use liner and thinned Gesso to paint lettering.)
- 4. Use water to thin Gesso to heavy cream consistency; spatter underside of lid and inside of box. (Note: Be sure to cover areas that will not be spattered.)
- 1. Use 1/4” angular and Milk Chocolate to
shade along edges of front and back of
gingerbread man, around candy buttons and under mouth. Use liner and slightly thinned Snow White to paint icing, eyes, eyebrows, and mouth. Use Lamp Black to dot pupils.
- 2. Use #1 pointed round to paint buttons
Snow White. Use liner and True Red to
paint stripes. Use touch of Snow White to dry brush faint highlight over red stripes.
- 1. Glue handle to center top of lid. Let
dry. Apply several sealer coats to