“God Bless America” Banner
- Cotton fabric, 1 yd. each: navy blue, patriotic print
- Muslin, 1 yd.
- Heavyweight cardstock, 12”x12”: white glitter, two; red
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive; Pellon Heavy-Duty Wonder-Under Fusible Interfacing, 2 yds.
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Round A Bout Alphabet Dies
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
scissors, marking pencil, iron and pressing surface, scrap cardstock (patterns)
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse fusible webbing onto navy blue and patriotic print fabrics. Remove paper backing and fuse navy blue fabric onto muslin fabric (to provide stability).
- Print out patterns onto scrap cardstock. Trace and cut out patterns from fused fabric and white glitter cardstock.
- Die cut letters from red cardstock to spell “GOD BLESS AMERICA” using alphabet die and machine.
- To assemble banner, follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse fabric bands on each navy blue flag using iron. Adhere star onto center of each fabric band using fabric glue. Adhere die-cut letter onto center of each star using fabric glue. Let dry.
- Fold over top of each flag at line marked on pattern; press to crease. Adhere completed flags onto cord using fabric glue, allowing flags to slide along cord length.
- Tear 3”x1” strips from fabric scraps. Tie torn fabric strips between words onto cording.
- Measure and cut two 3”x16” strips from patriotic-print fabric. Tie each strip on end of cording; shape into bow.
- 1. Substitute adhesive-back craft foam letters if die-cut machine is not available.