Dinosaur Napping Blanket & Pillow
- Minky dotted fabric: green, 1-1/8 yd.; blue, 1/2 yd.
- Cotton print fabric, 1-1/8 yd.
- Yellow wool felt, 3/4 yd.
- Blue ticking fabric, 1/8 yd.
- Fairfield: American Spirit Classic Cotton Batting, 1-1/8 yd.; Natur-Blend Fiber-Fill
- Blue medium rick rack, 1 pkg.
- Sewing thread: brown, green, dark blue
- Polyform Sculpey Ultralight Clay
- Sewing machine
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Primary Blue, Festive Green, Sour Apple; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7300C Shader #4, 6; Series 7000C Round #2
- Circle template, 1-1/2”
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
scissors, ruler or measuring tape, copy paper, transfer paper, pencil, straight pins, toothpick, sewing needle, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2”.
Blanket & Pillow
- 1. Print out patterns. Enlarge and print dinosaur fabric pattern to 400%. (Note: Due to the large size of this project, the pattern was not submitted at full size because it would be too difficult to follow broken over numerous pages.) Print dinosaur button pattern on copy paper; cut out.
- 2. For dinosaur buttons, remove clay from package and condition until soft and pliable. Roll clay to 1/8” thickness. Cut out two 1-1/2”-diameter circles. Use toothpick to poke two buttonholes on each circle. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake buttons on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool. On covered work surface, paint buttons Primary Blue using shader. Let dry. Transfer dinosaur button pattern on center of buttons. Outline dinosaurs Festive Green using round #2. Let dry. Paint inside of dinosaurs Sour Apple using shader #4. Let dry. Apply satin varnish on buttons using glaze/wash. Let dry and set aside.
- 3. Cut from fabric: 38”x37” (blanket front) from green minky and 5”x15” (handle) from blue minky; 38”x39” (blanket back) from cotton; two 2”x38” from blue ticking; fabric dinosaur from yellow wool felt.
- 4. To make handle, fold handle fabric lengthwise with right sides together. Machine-sew along raw edge using dark blue thread, leaving ends open. Turn right side out through open end. Press raw edges of ends under. Machine-sew around edges of handle. Set aside.
- 5. Center yellow wool felt dinosaur on right side of blanket front. Pin in place to secure. Zigzag stitch around edges using brown thread. Remove pins.
- 6. Position one ticking strip, with right sides together, along top raw edge of blanket front. Machine-sew together using 1/2” seam allowance with dark blue thread. Repeat with other ticking strip along bottom raw edge of blanket. Press both seams open.
- 7. Pin rick rack over right side of seam between blanket front and ticking strip. Machine-sew into place using dark blue thread. Repeat on bottom of blanket.
- 8. With right sides together, position blanket back on top of blanket front matching raw edges; pin edges. Machine-sew edges using dark blue thread, leaving 6” opening along center bottom of blanket. Clip corners and turn right side out. Turn corners out. Press opening edges under 1/2” and pin. Machine-sew along outer edge of blanket using 1/4” seam allowance and dark blue thread.
- 9. On top edge of finished blanket, measure to find center. Mark with pin. Measure from pin 3” along edge and mark. Place end of each handle on mark. Make sure handle end overlaps blanket by 2”. Machine-sew square and “x” over handle end using dark blue thread to attach to blanket. Hand-sew buttons over handle ends using green thread to finish. Knot ends.
- 10. To make pillow, cut two 17”x13” rectangles from blue minky fabric. With right sides facing, pin rectangles together. Machine-sew around edges using 1/2” seam allowance, leaving 4” opening along bottom edge using dark blue thread. Clip corners and turn right side out. Stuff pillow with fiberfill. Hand-sew opening closed using needle and dark blue thread.